[act-ma] 5/5 Manuel Santos this Saturday; 5/6 MA Referendum Launch on Sunday - @encuentro5

Suren Moodliar suren at fairjobs.org
Fri May 4 06:01:10 PDT 2012

*This weekend encuentro 5 <http://www.encuentro5.org> hosts two very
diverse events: Manuel Santos &
Bambule<http://encuentro5.org/home/node/267>joins us for a soulful
performance on Saturday night (starting at 8:00
p.m.) and then, on Sunday (at 2:00) the Budget for All
referendum<http://www.encuentro5.org/home/node/268>--to
End the Wars, Stop the Cuts, Invest in Jobs, & Tax the 1%--will hold its
kick-off event. We're working feverishly on the referendum
website<http://www.Budget4AllMass.com>to be ready for the launch. See
below for more on both of these events.
Note: encuentro 5 is based at 33 Harrison Ave, 5th floor, Boston, MA 02111
(see website for directions).*

Three other notes: (1) see this interesting *New Yorker*
article<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/01/30/120130fa_fact_lehrer?printable=true&currentPage=all>,
"Groupthink: The Brainstorming Myth" by Jonah Lehrer which speaks to the
kind of serendipitous connections between movements that encuentro 5
encourages. See also our notes on theory here: Networks, Open Spaces and
the Social Forum Process <http://encuentro5.org/home/node/191>. (2) Visit the
Boston May Day Committee's website <http://bostonmayday.org/> for speeches
from Tuesday's May Day celebration. This includes a message from our
imprisoned hero Chuck Turner and an anarchist perspective by James Herod.
Also, Sunday at 11:00 a.m., Sergio Reyes will continue the May Day theme his
address to the Community Church of
Boston<http://www.communitychurchofboston.org/home/>,
"The International Nature of Migrant Workers' Struggles." (3) This past
week saw the passing of Tomas
Borge<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/tomas-borge-martinez-obituary_n_1466452.html>,
the last living founder of the Sandinistas. We'll be working on a program
to appreciate and appraise his contributions to our movements; feel free to
contact us if you have any suggestions for this event<info at massglobalaction.org>
.

Follow e5 on Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/encuentro5> and "like" us on
Facebook <http://facebook.com/encuentro5>!

*1. This Saturday May 5th! Encuentros Musicale5 with Manuel
Santos<http://www.encuentro5.org/home/node/267>
*

Manuel Santos & Bambule play LIVE!

*Saturday, May 5th, 2012
8pm to late*
Suggested Donation: $10-$5

"Un amigo del vivir antes que nada, de la creacion y de la interpretacion,
con un mensaje personal, rescatando el recuerdo de poemas y canciones de
conciencia y tradicion, despertando el sentimiento y la sencibilidad.

*A friend of life above all, of creativity and performance with a personal
message, rescuing the memories of poems and song, conscience and tradition,
awakening feelings and sensibility...*

Este es un desarrollo poetico que busca cantar el patrimonio de nuestros
pueblos.donde la tierra (la "PachaMama") y el pan amanecen cotidianos y
generosos.

*This is a poetic endeavor that attempts to express the patrimony of our
people in song, where the earth ( "Pachamama" ) and the bread rise each
dawn in abundance and generosity *[read
on...<http://encuentro5.org/home/node/267>]
[Facebook RSVPs, click here<http://www.facebook.com/events/372566182780763/>
]

2. Campaign Kickoff: Budget for All
Referendum<http://www.encuentro5.org/home/node/268>
Calling All Peace & Social Justice Activists!

*Sunday, May 6, 2012, 2:00 - 5:00 p.m.* Now is the time to join together
with 24 labor, peace, housing and community groups across the state to put
our message before the public this election year. Place the “Budget for
All” referendum question on the ballot in Massachusetts this November:
“Troops home from Afghanistan now; Reduce the Military Budget; No cuts to
Social Security, Housing assistance, Medicaid; Invest in Jobs and Renewable
energy; tax large corporations”

We need you to help collect signatures to place the referendum on the
ballot in your state representative district? Here’s something we can all
do together.

For Information call Paul Shannon at AFSC: 617-661-6130 ext. 123

For Mass. Global Action and encuentro 5,

Suren

Suren Moodliar
Coordinator, Mass. Global Action
33 Harrison Ave, 5th floor, Boston, MA 02111
(w) 617-482-6300 (f) 888-400-1225

http://www.MassGlobalAction.org http://www.encuentro5.org
http://www.ColorOfWater.org

e-mail: suren at fairjobs.org