[act-ma] BIC Radical Movie Night at Lucy Parsons Center: "We Still Live Here/ As Nutayauean" 5/23

Corry Banton corryb8 at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 05:55:14 PDT 2012

Boston Interpreters Collective presents Movie Night at the Lucy Parsons
Center. Come join us for this amazing film and help build multilingual
community.

"We Still Live Here/ As Nutayauean"

Wed. May 23rd

7pm

Lucy Parsons Center 358 Center St. Jamaica Plain

FREE!

The
 Wampanoag ancestors ensured the survival of the English settlers known
as the Pilgrims, and lived to regret it.  Now a cultural revival is
taking place. Spurred on by their celebrated linguist, Jessie Little Doe
 Baird, recent winner of a Mac Arthur 'genius' grant award, the
Wampanoag are bringing their language home.

Like many Native
American stories, this one begins with a vision.   Years ago Jessie
began having recurring dreams: familiar-looking people from another time
 speaking in an incomprehensible language.  These visions sent her on an
 odyssey that would uncover hundreds of documents written in Wampanoag,
lead her to a Masters in Linguistics at MIT, and result in an
unprecedented feat of language reclamation by her people.  Jessie's
daughter Mae is the first Native speaker of Wampanoag in a century.

Mission - The Boston Interpreters Collective is dedicated to
promoting a multi-lingual society by eliminating language barriers and building
community. We work toward social justice by supporting community organizing
through our interpretation services and language classes and popular education
workshops. Our collective is committed to promoting equal rights for all by
addressing root causes of oppression.

www.interpreterscollective.org

www.lucyparsons.org

http://www.makepeaceproductions.com/wampfilm.html