[act-ma] Mon 6/25 11am Stop Anti-immigrant Amendments Rally @ State House

Juliana Morris juliana.e.morris at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 19:51:28 PDT 2012

Stop Anti-immigrant Amendments! Support immigrants in MA!

Rally @ State House
Monday 6/25 11am

Join Student Immigrant Movement in calling on the Governor to veto
anti-immigrant amendments in MA

Rally info:

see:  http://www.facebook.com/events/263282673779045/269447299829249/

BACKGROUND AND MORE
INFO:<http://www.facebook.com/events/263282673779045/269447299829249/>

In 2010 and 2011, the State Senate passed a series of anti-immigrant
amendments into the budget that would divide our families and harm our
communities. With the efforts of the Student Immigrant Movement's vigil,
and many other supportive organizations, these amendments were defeated.

This summer, these amendments are back and they're worse than before! Both
the State House of Representatives and the State Senate have passed them
into the budget and are ready to be signed into law by the Governor. Maybe
some of these amendments won't apply to some undocumented students due to
Obama's administrative relief, but what about immigrants who don't qualify
for the DREAM ACT? Are we to leave our parents, our friends, our aunts and
uncles, our teachers and janitors in the hands of ICE? Join us in speaking
out against this atrocity and demand the Governor veto these amendments
with his power to line-item veto.

What the amendments will do?

DRIVERS- Increase fees for those driving without a license, with penalties
that could lead to fifteen years in prison.(This applies to undocumented
drivers and those who falsify documents). Also, bar undocumented people
from registering vehicles.

WORKERS- Require E-verify system for government contractors. E- verify aims
tomake it impossible for immigrants to obtain jobs. Additionally, because
E-verify is an error prone system it can also prevent individuals who are
authorized to work from obtaining jobs. It will increase penalties for
people working without proper documentation, and A hotline will be created
so anyone could call and report if they suspect someone is working
illegally.

FAMILIES- Public housing will be denied to families with mixed immigration
status. Public benefits will be denied to undocumented individuals. It will
ban in-state tuition to individuals who are not permanent residents or
citizens,and Massachusetts universal health care can be taken away from
those who may have it.

The Governor is our last chance to stop these amendments. WE MUST ACT NOW!