[act-ma] Help the Budget for All reach 1 million voters!

Cole Harrison cole at masspeaceaction.org
Fri Jun 29 18:19:26 PDT 2012

The Budget for All referendum <http://budget4allmass.org/> coalition of
over 30 peace, community, and labor organizations is pleased to announce
that we have collected enough signatures to put the question on the ballot
in 6 state Senate districts and 17 state House districts.

That will allow some 769,000 Massachusetts voters to say yes or no on the
question on November 6!

[image: Sign the Petition]The Budget for All sends a message to Washington
to bring the troops home from Afghanistan now, cut military spending,
preserve benefits and services ordinary people depend on, create jobs, and
tax those who can afford it.   The Congressional Progressive Caucus' Budget
for All got 78 votes in March, including those of 5 of Massachusetts' 10
members of the House of Representatives.  But 5 of our Congress members
voted against it.  *Can we mobilize a strong enough coalition to turn those
5 votes around?*

With 4 days to go until the deadline this coming Tuesday, we have 2 more
Senate districts and 11 more House districts hanging on the brink.  With a
final push we can complete signature gathering for those districts, too --
allowing an additional 356,000 Massachusetts voters to consider the
question, and bringing the total number of votes that will be cast on it
past the 1 million mark.  This message will tell you how we can do it --
with your help!

Can you give two hours between Saturday and Tuesday morning to help?  It's
easy to collect signatures!  We'll suggest where to go for maximum impact,
bring materials to you, and explain how to do it.  It's good for each of us
to get out on the streets and talk to voters about our issues.

*For Boston area volunteers*, the first key district is Sen. DiDomenico's
district.  It covers much of
Cambridge<http://budget4allmass.org/sites/default/files/Cambridge_2012_StateSenate.pdf>
(Harvard,
Central, and Inman Square area) as well as Chelsea, Everett, Charlestown,
and the part of Allston-Brighton north of the Mass Pike and North Beacon
Street.  The Cambridge volunteer schedule for this district is at
budget4allmass.org/camb-sch -- please pick a time and place that works for
you, then contact Cole Harrison at Mass Peace Action (617-466-9274,
cole at masspeaceaction.org).

*The second Boston area district* where help is urgently needed is Sen.
Brownsberger's district.  It covers Allston-Brighton below the Pike and
North Beacon, Back Bay, Fenway, the Prudential area, Watertown, and
Belmont.   To help out, contact Michael Kane at Mass. Alliance of HUD
Tenants (617-233-1885, michaelkane at saveourhomes.org).

We are also sending *carpools from Boston/Cambridge to suburban areas* where
help is needed -- especially on Saturday and Monday.  To join a carpool,
contact Paul Shannon of American Friends Service Committee (617 623 5288,
pshannon at afsc.org).

Let's pull together and *push the Budget for All over the 1 million mark!*

*If you are holding completed petitions,* bring them in as soon as you
possibly can -- but in any case by Tuesday at 3pm!

Sincerely yours,

[image: Paul Shannon]Paul Shannon
American Friends Service Committee

[image: Cole Harrison]Cole Harrison