[act-ma] Thursday 7/19: Bloody Thursday" - Free UPandOUT film screening

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Wed Jul 18 20:15:00 PDT 2012

*/<http://rule19.org/download-film/film-120719-Bloody%20Thursday.pdf>Bloody
Thursday/*

Thursday, June 21st, in Cambridge [please download & distribute flyer
<http://rule19.org/download-film/film-120719-Bloody%20Thursday.pdf>]

Bloody Thursday tells the story of how West Coast dockworkers overcame
huge obstacles to form a union.

Set in the midst of the Great Depression, the film shows how
longshoremen were fighting for their rights at the same time that most
of their families weren't sure where their next meal would come from.
The odds were stacked against the longshoremen.

Mainstream newspaper publishers, fearful of unionization efforts at
their own papers, launched brutal attacks against the dockworkers and
drove public sympathy against them. In addition, politicians and the
police openly used their resources to side with the shipping companies
against the striking dockworkers.

On July 5, 1934 police killed two longshoremen at a massive dockworker
strike in San Francisco, a tragedy known as *Bloody Thursday*. The
tragic events of Bloody Thursday turned public opinion against the
shipping companies and lead the citizens of San Francisco and other west
coast port towns to go on a general strike in support of the dockworkers
that lead to the formation of the International Longshore and Warehouse
Union, now known worldwide as the ILWU.

*Bloody Thursday* tells the human stories of the dockworkers who stood
up against these odds and changed the course of American labor history.

"/This strike is the best thing that ever happened to San Francisco.
It's costing us money, certainly. We have lost millions on the
waterfront in the last few months. But it's a good investment, a
marvelous investment. It's solving the labor problem for years to come.
Mark my words. When this nonsense is out of the way and the men have
been driven back to their jobs, we won't have to worry about them
anymore. They'll have learned their lesson./" ~William H. Crocker, a
prominent San Francisco banker

"*/An Injury to One is an Injury to All/*" Rallying cry of the Wobblies
[IWW], and the name of a sculpture at the corner of Mission & Steuart
Streets, San Francisco, where much of the violence took place.

"/We're not a democracy. It's a terrible misunderstanding and a slander
to the idea of democracy to call us that. In reality, we're a
plutocracy: a government by the wealthy./" ~Ramsey Clark , former U.S.
Attorney General

"/To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance
between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the
statesmanship of the day/." ~Theodore Roosevelt's 1912 Platform of the
Progressive Party

**
*When/where*
243 Broadway, Cambridge - corner of Broadway and Windsor,
entrance on Windsor
rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos/>

Please join us for a stimulating night out; bring your friends!
free film, free refreshments, & free door prizes.
[donations are accepted]
/
"You can't legislate good will - that comes through education./" ~ Malcolm X

*UPandOUT film series* - see rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos/>

Why should YOU care? It's YOUR money that pays for US/Israeli wars - on
Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Palestine, Libya. Syria, Iran, So America, etc
etc - for billionaire bailouts, for ever more ubiquitous US prisons, for
the loss of liberty and civil rights...