[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Aug 5 10:38:06 PDT 2012

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most
Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston
area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

If you wish to subscribe or unsubscribe to Energy (and Other) Events
email gmoke at world.std.com

---------------------
Monday, August 6
---------------------

Safety characteristics of ITER - First fusion machine undergoing full
nuclear license
Monday, August 06, 2012
2:00p–3:30p
MIT, Building NW17-218

Speaker: Carlos Alejaldre, ITER Deputy Director-General
Plasma Science and Fusion Center Special Seminar

After "Fukushima" the safety of nuclear installations is being
revisited all over the world, following the principle of "imagine the
unimaginable." ITER, classified in France as a "Basic Nuclear
Installation," is no exception; it is undergoing a strict process of
technical and public examination in order to get its nuclear license.
In this talk the licensing process of ITER, the safety characteristics
of ITER (and by extension of fusion) will be presented with a
particular emphasis on the identification of risks and their possible
impact on people and the environment, as well as the status of the
Project.

Open to: the general public

Sponsor(s): Plasma Science and Fusion Center

For more information, contact:  Paul Rivenberg
617-253-8101
info at psfc.mit.edu

----------------------
Tuesday, August 7
----------------------

Energy, the Environment and IBM

Tuesday, Aug 7, 2012
9:30am until 10:45am
BU, 24 Cummington St. (103), Boston

Who  Admission is free
More Info  Cynthia Brossman
Contact  Earth and Environment  Suchi Gopal
suchi at bu.edu, 508-397-1220
Background reading:  http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/22/ibm-david-bartlett-sustainability-green-energy/

-----------------------------------

*KEEP THE WATER FLOWING!*  A COMMUNITY CONVERSATION ABOUT THE PRICE OF
WATER, HUMAN RIGHTS, AND EAST BOSTON!
AUGUST 7, 2012
6:30 pm
THE SOCIAL CENTER, 68 Central Square, East Boston
PIZZA & LIGHT REFRESHMENTS SERVED

Are you worried about:
High Water Bills
Shut-off Notices
Water Quality
Emergencies
Price Rises?

This event is organized by Massachusetts Global Action, Union of
Minority Neighborhoods, Peoples? Decade of Human Rights Education,
Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, Human Rights City - Boston &
Beyond, Neighborhood of Affordable Housing, Casa el Salvador, the
Unitarian Universalist Service Committee, Survivors, Inc., Green
Rainbow Party (Boston Chapter).

For more information:  call 888-400-1225 or visit http://ColorOfWater.org
.

Look out for our upcoming conversations in Dorchester and Roxbury.

Flyers:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1042836/flyer-2012-08-07_espanol.pdf
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1042836/flyer-2012-08-07_ingles.pdf

Background Info:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1042836/article_survival_news_2012_espanol.pdf
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1042836/article_survival_news_2012_reprint_layout_english.pdf

------------------------------

Green Tech Entrepreneur Forum & Brainstorming
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
7:00 PM To 10:00 PM
Eastern Bank, 647 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
You can see into the conference room from the street

The Agenda is:
We will introduce ourselves and tell about our interest, expertise or
work (1st hr)
You can give a ~3 to 5 minute elevator speach about your startup if
you would like. (We will divide the 1st hour by # of people.)
What stage is your ideas or startup?  What is your goal?
Tell what personnel or additional expertise, funding, etc. you are
seeking,
Discussion and Brainstorming on (2nd hr)
ideas for viable moneymaking startups,
methods of collaboration, networking, forming teams & partnerships etc.
marketing, media, social media, ideas that have worked well for
publicity
Agencies, websites, companies that assist startups
Boston Greenfest & Gov't opportunities.
What would you like to see in future meetups?

RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/Boston-Clean-Tech-and-Energy/events/73378532/

--------------------------
Wednesday, August 8
--------------------------

Hubway Expansion Rolling Launch Party
Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2012, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
9am: Brookline Town Hall: Ribbon Cutting with Selectwoman Jesse Mermell
10am: Somerville City Hall: Ribbon Cutting with Mayor Curtatone
10:30am: Riders depart from Hubway stations at Somerville City Hall
and MIT toward Cambridge City Hall
11am: Cambridge City Hall: Remarks from Mayor Henrietta Davis, MAPC
Executive Director Marc Draisen, officials from MassDOT and FTA.
Postmaster Katherine Lydon will unveil a new bicycle stamp. Coffee and
snacks provided by the Central Square business Association.
12pm: Ride from Cambridge City Hall to Harvard Square for a lunch
celebration sponsored by Harvard University and the Harvard Square
Business Association.
12-1pm: Boston Bikes celebrates with “High Fives and Helmets” at a new
station on Boylston St. and Washington St., giving away free helmets
to the first 25 people on bikes or with a Hubway key.
4:30-5:30pm: Boston Bikes gives out more High Fives and Helmets at a
new station at South Bay Plaza.

ALSO!

Please post your photos of you at a Hubway station in Brookline,
Somerville, and Cambridge, and one of the new stations in Boston, to
be entered to win a FREE 1-Year Hubway membership. Photos can be
submitted to Hubway's Facebook wall at https://www.facebook.com/Hubway
or by emailing them to brogangraham at altabicycleshare.com. You must
have all four municipalities clearly identified in each photo along
with yourself included in each photo.

We'll pick the top four winners at random and the fifth FREE
membership will go to the person who shows the most creativity and
spunk.

--------------------------------

Using Computational Tools for Piecing Together Small Trees into the
Large Tree of Life
Wednesday, August 8 2012
1:00PM to 2:00PM
MIT, Building 32-G449, Kiva, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge

Speaker: Sagi Snir, University of Haifa, Israel
The reconstruction of evolutionary trees is a fundamental task in
Biology. The increasing amount of available genomic sequences over
thousands of taxa, gave rise to the task of large scale phylogenetic
reconstruction. Since accurate reconstruction is limited to few dozens
of taxa, the supertree approach, aims at accurately reconstructing
small trees over overlapping taxa sets and subsequently amalgamate
these trees into a tree over the full taxa set. Perhaps the simplest
version of this task that is still widely applicable, yet quite
challenging, is quartet based reconstruction. This problem lies at the
root of many tree reconstruction methods and theoretical as well as
experimental results have been reported. Nevertheless, fundamental
problems such as dealing with conflicting quartet trees or even with
arbitrary congruent quartet trees remain problematic.

In a series of works we have developed a graph theoretically based
approach for the supertree task. Our approach is based on a divide and
conquer algorithm where our divide step uses a semi- definite
programming (SDP) formulation of MaxCut in a graph representing
relationships between the organisms. We devised an extremely fast SDP-
like heuristic that allows us to extend the input data from several
thousands of quartet trees over few dozens of species to tens of
millions of quartet trees over thousands of species. These results are
promising in the realm of large scale phylogenetic reconstruction.

Based on works with Satish Rao and Raphy Yuster. The talk is self-
contained and requires no prior knowledge in Biology.
Host: Manolis Kellis, MIT CSAIL
Contact: Teresa Cataldo, cataldo at csail.mit.edu

------------------------------
Bag It

Wednesday, August 8th

6:30 pm

Cambridge Public Library, 449 Broadway Cambridge

Free movie

bag it   Is your life too plastic?

Cambridge Green would like to invite you and your kids to a truly
inspiring film.

What started as a documentary about plastic bags evolved into a
wholesale investigation into plastics and their effect on our
waterways, oceans, cities and even our own BODIES. Join the bag it
movement and decide for yourself how plastic your life should be.

Seating is limited so come early.

The Screening is at 6:30pm (the film is 65 minutes long and unrated
but is suitable for young kids)

Go to http://www.bagitmovie.com/ to see the trailer or read about the
issues or find out how to take action!

-----------------------

Thursday, August 9

-----------------------

WYSS LECTURE: Magnetically-and-Bacteria-Actuated Mobile Micro-Robots
WHEN  Thu., Aug. 9, 2012, 2 – 3 p.m.
WHERE CLSB, 3 Blackfan Circle, Room 521, Boston
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Lecture
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired
Engineering at Harvard University
SPEAKER(S) Metin Sitti, Ph.D., NanoRobotics Lab & Center for Bio-
Robotics at Carnegie Mellon University.
LINK http://wyss.harvard.edu/viewevent/217/magneticallyandbacteriaactuated-mobile-microrobots

---------------------------

Energy Bar August: Moving On Up
Thursday, August 9, 2012
5:30 PM to 8:30 PM (EDT)
Greentown Labs, 337 Summer Street, Ground Floor, Boston

Event Details
We're movin' on up, to the 2nd Floor!

Join us on Thursday, August 9th for our bi-monthly EnergyBar event.
This month we are celebrating our expansion, new member companies, and
several new partnerships! In addition to our ground floor, mezzanine,
and basement levels, we have now taken a lease on 2nd floor, allowing
us to bring on a number of new clean energy companies.
Come and meet our newest members, do some clean energy networking, and
find out the details about our new partners.
Drinks and eats will be served somewhat promptly around 5:30pm.
Suggested dress is business casual. Please RSVP to help us plan for
food and beverages. Hope to see you all there!

About Energy Bar

EnergyBar is a bi-monthly event devoted to helping people in clean
technology meet and discuss innovations in renewable and advanced
energy technologies. Entrepreneurs, investors, students, and ‘friends
of cleantech,’ are invited to attend, meet colleagues, and expand our
growing regional clean technology community.
Our attendess typically span a variety of disciplines within energy,
efficiency, and renewables technology. If you're looking for a job in
cleantech, trying to expand your network, or perhaps thinking to start
your own cleantech company this is the event for you. Expect to have
conversations about issues facing advanced and renewable energy
technologies and ways to solve our most pressing energy problems.

RSVP at http://energybar-es2.eventbrite.com/?rank=219

----------------------------------
openLAB_Summer

August 9, 2012

6:00-8:00 p.m.

Harvard University, 29 Garden Street, Cambridge

Join us for a night showcasing metaLAB’s summer projects and
propositions, experiments and explorations.

Featuring:

Digital Ecologies

Feral Copyright
Library Observatory
Paper Machines

openLAB is a platform for experimentation and innovation. Migrating
from site to site, ranging from local galleries to public spaces to
Harvard arts venues, the openLAB series provides a forum to share
everything from recent hacks and projects in progress to ad-hoc
spectacles and polished productions. openLAB participants include core
metaLAB members and other artists, scholars and technologists engaged
in exploring new modes of practice, exhibition and knowledge design.

---------------------

Friday, August 10

---------------------

The Muddy Megawatt Hour
Friday, August 10, 2012
4:00p–6:00p
MIT, Building 50, Walker Memorial, Muddy
Starting this week we're bumping the start of the Muddy Megawatt Hour
back to 4 pm and will have a new official Energy Club Muddy Megawatt
Hour Flag marking our space. Don't miss this great weekly opportunity
to chat with people from the other side of campus about what they are
working on here at MIT. In the first month, we've had great
discussions around the Solyndra scandal and DOE loan guarantees,
startup company financing, this year's Energy Conference topics and
opportunities for storage technologies to make an impact. Come see who
you will meet and what part of the energy world you will learn more
about while informing others about your work and interests. Come
early, come late, stay as long as you can on the hallowed ground where
the Energy Club started.

Open to: the general public

This event occurs on Fridays through October 7, 2012.

Sponsor(s): MIT Energy Club

For more information, contact:
MIT Energy Club
energyclub at mit.edu

------------------------------

Devil’s Tango (how I learned the Fukushima step by step)

FRIDAY, AUGUST 10
Joan Ecklein’s house, 14 Sterling Street, Newton
Potluck •6 pm

Book talk by award-winning author Cecile Pineda
Sponsor:  Boston Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom

Organizer: Joan Ecklein 617.244.8054

---------------------------------

SOMERVILLE FESTIVAL OF FOOD AND CULTURE
Saturday, August 11, 2012
6 pm to 10 pm
Union Square, Somerville

Event Description The Hungry Tiger Street Festival, now it it’s second
year, transforms Union Square into a night market like those of East
Asia or Europe. Local restaurants selling small street food and fire
throwers draw in a big crowd. We’ll keep the fun alive with face
painting, buskars, interactive booths, face painting, and more.

Somerville Arts Council Call: Craft Vendors Wanted! Hungry Tiger
Street Festival A Festival of Food and Culture in Union Square
Saturday, August 11th, 6-10pm Application Deadline: Friday, August
3rd, 2012

What we’re looking for you to add is a unique spin on craft vending.
Specifically items a customer can wear or carry with them (think
masks, hair accessories, fake moustaches, buttons, maybe bags or
purses, and especially anything that lights up). This is a really fun
night market, we look forward to some interesting applications!
Contact Meagan O'Brien,  ArtsUnion Coordinator Somerville Arts Council
at megart04 at gmail.com
http://www.somervilleartscouncil.org/artsunion/2012/hungrytiger

---------------------------------

The Boston Wikipedia Meetup Group Monthly Meetup
Mon Aug 13
7:00 PM
Clover Food Lab7 Holyoke St., Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/wikipedia-5/

-------------------------------

Comparing Boston v. SiliconValley & NYC w/ Social Media
APIs,TextMining (Group1)
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
6:30 PM To 7:30 PM
Microsoft New England Research and Development Center, 1 Memorial
Drive, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/Boston-Predictive-Analytics/events/71583112/
Price: $5.00/per person
Refund policy
The $5 fee will first go to pizza (50%), then charity as described
below (25%) and some O’Reilly books (25%) to be given away to the
group.  The fee is towards reducing no-shows which range anywhere from
30-50% of rsvps when there is a free event.  Please note there is a no-
pizza, $2.50 for charity, session #2 at 7:45.

Boston's Meetup Tech and Business scene has grown stronger; however
Silicon Valley and New York City have both higher adoption and scale.
What might Boston do to improve its Tech and Biz community landscape?

Social Network Analysis and Machine Learning are used on data pulled
from Meetup's API.  The talk will cover the application-side,
analytics using R, and some on pulling data via an API.

Background/Summary:
This talk is a follow-up to the "Utilizing Meetup to Analyze Boston,
Silicon Valley and NYC" presentation I gave back February. This
extension includes additional Social Network and Machine Learning
analysis towards addressing questions such as "What specific Meetup
Groups would be helpful for Boston towards improving its tech and biz
scene relative to Silicon Valley and NYC?"
There are two main layers of the presentation:
(1) Regional Comparisons:  Silicon Valley, not surprisingly, has a
higher percentage of tech and business groups than either NYC or
Boston.  NYC is slightly above the national average; whereas Boston
has an on-par tech scene, though lower than average percentage of
business groups.  This will be explored in more detail.
(2) Analytics:  Social Network Analysis and Machine Learning as a
means to describe different communities.  "R" (tnet and RTextTools
libraries among others) was used with data originating primarily from
the Meetup API.
Please note the talk is low on hardcore Computer Science, i.e. there
is not going to be discussion of achieving 99.999% accuracy using 20
different models ensembled together ala Amazon or Netflix.   Please
refer to Stanford's Online Learning website (www.coursera.org) which
has a great ML course; and both Coursera and Udacity have upcoming
Social Network Analysis courses.  It would be great to have a 2-hour
ML event; however this is not the time for it.
The fee, which is to reduce the no-shows/waitlist, will partially be
given to charities.  One thought is to have the donations given to a
local non-profit for whom Meetup could be a benefit (much as it has
shown to be in tech and biz communities). Interestingly, this brings
up a different set of questions including "What is the adoption rate
of Meetup in inner cities?"   As of this time I don't know which
organization; however there's time to explore this before the event,
and I may be able to go back into the Meetup data and local economic
data to see if those sources can be helpful.  If you are interested in
helping out in identifying a non-profit organization, then please let
me know.

Sponsor:  Boston Predictive Analytics

**********
------------
Upcoming
------------
**********

Creative Economy Roundtable
Thursday, August 16
8:30 am
BSA Space, 290 Congress Street, Boston
Register online at creativenextarchitecture.eventbrite.com/

Governor Patrick’s Creative Economy Industry director, Helena Fruscio
and the Boston design community

You may also be interested in the fall 2009 issue of
ArchitectureBoston on Creative Economy

-----------------

Boston GreenFest
Thursday, Aug 16   5 pm - 9:30 pm
(Performers/Food)
Friday, Aug 17       noon - 9:30 pm
(Exhibitors/Food/Vendors/Performers)
Saturday, Aug 18    11 am - 8 pm
(Exhibitors/Food/Vendors/Performers)
Sunday, Aug 19    10 am - 5 pm
Featuring: The Movement Festival!
(Dance/Food/Vendors/Performers)

Boston City Hall Plaza, One City Hall Square, Boston

http://www.bostongreenfest.org/index.html
info at bostongreenfest.org
617-477-4840

-----------------------------------

SOMERVILLE CONFERENCE ON THE CREATIVE ECONOMY
Thursday, August 23, 2012
7 to 9 pm
Artisan's Asylum, 10 Tyler Street, Somerville

Uncover What's Next for the Creative Economy
CreativeNEXT is a series of 21 state-wide events held bythe
Massachusetts Creative Economy Council, an advisory Council to the
Legislature and the Executive Office of Housing and Economic
Development, and a variety of local partners. The MA Creative Economy
Council is tasked to develop a statewide strategy for the enhancement,
encouragement, and growth of the creative economy in Massachusetts.
Working with the Creative Economy Industry Director this listening
tour will help to guide the future priorities of the Council. The
greater Boston event, co-hosted by the Artisan's Asylum and Union
Square Main Streets, will take place on Thursday, August 23, 2012 from
7 to 9 pm at the Artisan's Asylum, 10 Tyler Street, Somerville. Join
colleagues in a discussion on furthering the visionary growth of your
business and other creative industries across the state. Who should
attend? Businesses, Organizations, and Individuals working in:
Marketing: Advertising and marketing agencies and professionals
Architecture: Architecture firms and architects Visual Arts + Craft:
Museums, galleries, theatres and curators, artists, + artisans Design:
Industrial, interior, graphic, web, fashion firms and designers Film +
Media: Film, TV, animation, and radio businesses and talent Video
Game: Companies, programmers, and individuals producing games Music +
Performance: Venues, producers, and performers Publishing: Content
creation, editors, writers and distributors What's on the agenda? You
are! We want to hear from you, about you, as we explore future
opportunities for like-minded businesses within the creative
landscape. Through a round table discussion we hope to gain valuable
insights concerning the growth and sustainability of your business
within the state of Massachusetts.

For more information and to register your space: http://creativenextgreaterboston.eventbrite.com

----------------------------------

National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance
SUSTAINABLE VISION VENTURE LAB
8/23/2012 - 8/27/2012
9:00 am - 8:00 pm
Microsoft New England R&D Center, One Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA
02142

Audience: Faculty and students from New England and throughout the
country working to commercialize ventures for the developing world
highly experiential and immersive workshop designed to enhance the
success of base of the pyramid ventures. Students from Boston
University, Northeastern, MIT (including Legatum fellows) Harvard and
Tufts will meet and work with students from other programs around the
country to develop strong, sustainable business models that create
products or services for the benefit of people living in poverty.

$100 per team
Register at https://secure.nciia.org/WebObjects/NciiaApplyForGrants.woa/wa/EV/instantRegistration?i=1000319

-------------------------------------

Save the Silver Maple Forest nature hike
Saturday, August 25
4pm
meet at Alewife Station on the Red Line (passenger pick-up area),
Cambridge

The Silver Maple Forest, an urban forest adjacent to Alewife
Reservation in Cambridge, is slated to be cut down to make way for
housing development.

This walk will introduce people to the Reservation and Silver Maple
Forest so they can understand the importance of this urban wilderness
and join activists and concerned citizens working to preserve it.

In this walk we will learn to identify some of the wild plant foods
and medicines found here.

Leading the walk is Jules Kobek, co-founder of DIO (Do-It-Ourselves)
Skillshare and knowledgeable forager.
call 617-492-2340 for more info about walk

Heavy rain cancels (call if not sure)
Be prepared for rough ground and possibly mud, mosquitos, and ticks (I
strongly recommend wearing long pants tucked into socks and long
sleeves)

for more info about the Silver Maple Forest, check-out these websites:
Coalition to Preserve the Belmont Uplands: http://www.belmontcoalition.org
Friends of Alewife Reservation: http://friendsofalewifereservation.org/homepage.htm

---------------------

*************
----------------

Opportunity

---------------
*************
Where is the best yogurt on the planet made? Somerville, of course!

Join the Somerville Yogurt Making Cooperative and get a weekly quart
of the most thick, creamy, rich and tart yogurt in the world.
Membership in the coop costs $2.50 per quart. Members share the
responsibility for making yogurt in our kitchen located just outside
of Davis Sq. in FirstChurch.  No previous yogurt making experience is
necessary.

For more information checkout.
https://sites.google.com/site/somervilleyogurtcoop/home

---------------------

Boiler Rebate
If your boiler is from 1983 or earlier, Mass Save will give a $1,750
to $4,000 rebate to switch it out for a new efficient boiler that uses
the same fuel (i.e. if you have oil, you have to continue to use oil)
so long as it is installed by July 31, 2012.

Call Mass Save (866 527-7283) to sign up for a home energy assessment
or sign-up online at  www.nextsteplivinginc.com/HEET  and HEET will
receive a $10 contribution from Next Step Living for every completed
assessment.

This is a great way to reduce climate change emissions for the next 20
or so years the boiler lasts, while saving money.

------------------------

CEA Solar Hot Water Grants
Cambridge, through the Cambridge Energy Alliance initiative, is
offering a limited number of grants to residents and businesses for
solar hot water systems.  The grants will cover 50% of the remaining
out of pocket costs of the system after other incentives, up to $2,000.

Applications will be accepted up to November 19, 2012 and are
available on a first come, first serve basis until funding runs out.
The Cambridge grant will complement other incentives including the
Massachusetts Clean Energy Center solar thermal grants.  For more
information, seehttp://cambridgeenergyalliance.org/resources/additional-resources/solar-hot-water-grant-program

-----------------------

Cambridge Residents: Free Home Thermal Images

Have you ever wanted to learn where your home is leaking heat by
having an energy auditor come to your home with a thermal camera?
With that info you then know where to fix your home so it's more
comfortable and less expensive to heat.  However, at $200 or so, the
cost of such a thermal scan is a big chunk of change.

HEET Cambridge has now partnered with Sagewell, Inc. to offer
Cambridge residents free thermal scans.

Sagewell collects the thermal images by driving through Cambridge in a
hybrid vehicle equipped with thermal cameras.  They will scan every
building in Cambridge (as long as it's not blocked by trees or
buildings or on a private way).  Building owners can view thermal
images of their property and an analysis online. The information is
password protected so that only the building owner can see the results.

Homeowners, condo-owners and landlords can access the thermal images
and an accompanying analysis free of charge. Commercial building
owners and owners of more than one building will be able to view their
images and analysis for a small fee.

The scans will be analyzed in the order they are requested.

Go to Sagewell.com.  Type in your address at the bottom where it says
"Find your home or building" and press return.  Then click on "Here"
to request the report.

That's it.  When the scans are done in a few weeks, your building will
be one of the first to be analyzed. The accompanying report will help
you understand why your living room has always been cold and what to
do about it.

With knowledge, comes power (or in this case saved power and money,
not to mention comfort).

---------------------

Free solar electricity analysis for MA residents
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhwM202dDYxdUZJVGFscnY1VGZ3aXc6MQ

-----------------------

HEET has partnered with NSTAR and Mass Save participating contractor
Next Step Living to deliver no-cost Home Energy Assessments to
Cambridge residents.

During the assessment, the energy specialist will:

Install efficient light bulbs (saving up to 7% of your electricity bill)
Install programmable thermostats (saving up to 10% of your heating bill)
Install water efficiency devices (saving up to 10% of your water bill)
Check the combustion safety of your heating and hot water equipment
Evaluate your home’s energy use to create an energy-efficiency roadmap
If you get electricity from NSTAR, National Grid or Western Mass
Electric, you already pay for these assessments through a surcharge on
your energy bills.  You might as well use the service.

Please sign up at http://nextsteplivinginc.com/heet/?outreach=HEET or
call Next Step Living at 866-867-8729.  A Next Step Living
Representative will call to schedule your assessment.

HEET will help answer any questions and ensure you get all the
services and rebates possible.

(The information collected will only be used to help you get a Home
Energy Assessment.  We won’t keep the data or sell it.)

(If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to call
HEET’s Jason Taylor at 617 441 0614.)

*********
-----------

Resource

-----------
*********

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide

SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green
Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!

To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for
sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

Foundation found that 77% of respondents believe that global warming
has “probably been happening” and 59% of all respondents see see it as
being at least partially caused by human pollution.  Only 42% of the
state’s residents say global warming will have very serious
consequences for Massachusetts if left unaddressed. The 18 to 29 age
group is more likely to believe global warming is appearing and caused
by humans compared to the 60+ age group.  African-American (56%) and
Latino residents (69%) are more likely than white residents (40%) to
believe global warming will be a very serious problem if left
unaddressed.  The MassINC report, titled The 80 Percent Challenge:
What Massachusetts must do to meet targets and make headway on climate
change (http://www.massinc.org/Research/The-80-percent-
challenge.aspx), contains many other findings.

Free Monthly Energy Analysis

CarbonSalon is a free service that every month can automatically track
your energy use and compare it to your past energy use (while
controlling for how cold the weather is). You get a short friendly
email that lets you know how you’re doing in your work to save energy.

https://www.carbonsalon.com/

---------------------------------------

Boston Food System

"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post
announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships,
programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles
or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's
food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take
place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."

The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food
system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food,
farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health,
environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of
organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on
week-to-week is not always well publicized.

Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let
everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of
subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and
other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

----------------------

Artisan Asylum  http://artisansasylum.com/

Sprout & Co:  Community Driven Investigations

Greater Boston Solidarity Economy Mapping Project  http://www.transformationcentral.org/solidarity/mapping/mapping.html
a project by Wellesley College students that invites participation,
contact jmatthaei at wellesley.edu

------------------------

Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

Links to events at 60 colleges and universities at Hubevents   http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to

Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering in the
Boston Area  http://www.BostonScienceLectures.com

Boston Area Computer User Groups  http://www.bugc.org/

Arts and Cultural Events List  http://aacel.blogspot.com/

http://www.massclimateaction.net/calendar/events/index.php