[act-ma] Sat, 9/8, Roxbury: "Solidarity with ChicagoTeachers Organizing Meeting"

Keith Rosenthal keithmr81 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 09:32:29 PDT 2012

Forward widely!

Solidarity with ChicagoTeachers
Organizing Meeting

Saturday September 8, 11-1pm
Dudley Public Library, 65 Warren St. Roxbury MA

The Chicago Teachers Union is currently on the front lines of a fight to
defend public education. On one side the 30,000 members of the CTU have
called for a contract that includes fair compensation, meaningful job
security for qualified teachers, smaller class sizes and a better school day with Art, Music, World Language and appropriate staffing levels to
help their neediest students.

On the other side, the Chicago Board of Education—which is managed by out
of town reformers and Broad Foundation candidates with little or no
Chicago public school experience—has pushed to add two weeks to the
school year and 85 minutes to the school day, eliminate pay increases
for seniority, evaluate teachers based on student test scores, and slash many other rights.

Teachers, parents and community supporters in Chicago have fought
valiantly—marching, filling auditoriums at hearings and parent meetings, even occupying a school and taking over a school board meeting. Most
recently, 98 percent of the Chicago Teachers’ Union members voted to
authorize a strike. Chicago teachers are leading the fight in a struggle that all educators and
concerned community members are facing around the country. The
possibility of a strike is still not certain but could be very likely.
In the case of a strike, Chicago teachers are going to need our support. Please join other educators and activists to organize a solidarity campaign
that not only brings pubic attention and support to the cause of Chicago teachers, but also begins to discuss how we can fight to save our
public schools here. This is a fight for all workers against
privatization and the attacks on our rights, and we all need to Stand Up and Fight Back!

 For more information contact:   chicagoteachersolidarity at gmail.com
***The Dudley Public library is very close to the Dudley bus depot, and is in
close walking distance from the Roxbury Crossing T on the orange line.
Parking available on street.***

Meeting sponsored by a variety of labor activists and organizations.