[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Aug 26 14:34:01 PDT 2012

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most
Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston
area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

If you wish to subscribe or unsubscribe to Energy (and Other) Events
email gmoke at world.std.com

-----------------------
Monday, August 27
-----------------------

Boston Entrepreneurship Speaker Series: Jay Batson, Co-founder of Acquia
Monday, August 27, 2012
6:30 PM to 8:00 PM (EDT)
Bocoup Loft, 355 Congress Street, Boston
RSVP at http://bemss4-es2.eventbrite.com/?rank=209

"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to
walk away, know when to run." - Kenny Rogers

This talk will focus on recognizing when it's time to decide whether
to hold or fold. Jay has founded four tech companies, and encountered
hold/fold moments in all of them. This situation arises in all kinds
of ways - hold/fold a customer sales opportunity, hold/fold your role
in the company, or hold/fold the company itself. Jay doesn't claim to
have gotten them all right - but he's learned from all of the hold/
fold moments. Come learn what he's learned from those moments.

Jay is currently the Co-founder of Acquia. Acquia is the second
technology company Jay has founded, and is also his second commercial
open-source effort (the previous having been Pingtel, acquired by
Nortel). Jay's passion is to build great companies that build products
that make users happy. So at Acquia, he searches out new products and
service opportunities the company can offer its customers to make
Drupal more valuable to those who use it.

-----------------------------

Nerd Night
Monday August 27, 2012
8pm
Middlesex, 315 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
Featuring Nerd-appropriate tunes by DJ Claude Money

$5

The lineup:
Talk 1. “Edvard Munch: His Life and Work In Context”
by David Curcio
Talk 2.  “Sh*t [nerds] say: Just what the hell is a snowclone anyway?”
by Tim Sullivan

For more information about the speakers and the talks see http://boston.nerdnite.com/2012/08/19/nerdnite-august-27-meme-mad-libs-and-munch/

-------------------------
Tuesday, August 28
------------------------

Micro-Finance OPEN HOUSE - Volunteering Opportunity with Social
Enterprise
Tuesday, August 28
6:00 PM to 8:00 PM (EST)
Stata Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 32 Vassar Street,
Cambridge

MONTHLY OPEN HOUSE
Philanthropist.org invites you to join us for our Monthly open house
to learn about how to get involved with our new micro-finance and
micro-philanthropy startup venture. We are currently looking to add
members to our team.  This is a great opportunity to get in on the
ground floor of a promising new social enterprise.  Please BRING YOUR
RESUME!  Also submit your resume and desired role in advance via:  http://philanthropist.org/volunteer
    The ideal candidates are energetic problem-solvers, networkers,
big-picture thinkers, and experts at execution.
Current opportunities allow qualified candidates to demonstrate deep
involvement without the risk.  At the moment, we only need ONE NIGHT
PER WEEK of your time as we lock down our strategy, develop processes,
and perform the basic "blocking and tackling" required to get a
venture off the ground.  The team currently meets weekly on Tuesday
nights from 6-10pm.
Open House Agenda:
6:00-6:30 Networking/Introductions
6:30-7:00 Video Presentation
7:00-7:30 Group Interviews
7:30-8:00+ One-on-One Interviews
There is no Cost to attend, but please be on time as we cannot accept
late arrivals.

Learn more:
give at philanthropist.org
http://www.youtube.com/user/philanthropistorg
http://www.facebook.com/philanthropist.org
For those looking for entrepreneurial adventure, consider joining us
on our next inspiring Micro-Finance Profiling Field Trip in January.
View Pictures from the last trip in September:
http://picasaweb.google.com/philanthropist.org/MicroFinanceFieldStudyDominicanRepublic
***Did you know?  In the Dominican Republic (alone) the Market for
Micro-Finance Loans is over $28 Million?  The Average Loan is $361 USD
with over 50,000 clients having small loans. Over 70% are women, and
payback rates exceed 97% (better than traditional banking).  Please
see the few examples on Youtube, and research Micro-Finance prior to
Arrival so you are fluent in terminology:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-finance

-----------------------------

Minute to Pitch it
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (EDT)
1 Marina Park Drive Boston

Minute to Pitch It
Join MassChallenge for an evening of speed pitching!
Be wow'd by pitches from the teams working to change the world.
Finalists have one minute to pitch their companies to a crowd of
supporters and startup enthusiasts!

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Suggestions?
events at masschallenge.org

--------------------------------

Data Science for the Bottom Billion:  Learn and discuss about Data for
Development (and get introduced)
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
7:00 PM To 9:00 PM
MIT Media Lab, Building E14 Room 525, 75 Amherst Street, Cambridge
RSVP at ttp://www.meetup.com/Data-Science-for-the-Bottom-Billion/events/77043292/

We will discuss the status quo of international development
organizations, how they use data today, and what the opportunities for
improvement are. We will also spend some time talking about our own
interests in this space, and how we think we can contribute.

----------------------------
Wednesday, August 29
----------------------------

Scaling Crashlytics: Designing Web Backends for 100 Million Events per
Day
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
6:30 PM
Microsoft NERD Center, 1 Memorial Drive, Cambridge
RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/BostonTech/events/76729932/

Working on the next hottest startup? Building an app that you know
will take off?
Your backend web architecture is one of the most critical factors in
your long-term success. It dictates your success in launching the next
big customer, the amount of work your team will have to do in the face
of scaling, and even your ability to bring new features online.
Decisions you make now can save literally months of work over the
coming years and give you the power to deliver features the
competition can only dream of building.

The best part? It’s really easy. We’ll explore fast-message-queueing,
a web architecture pattern we’ve employed at Crashlytics since day 1
to process millions of data-points a day. Learn how to design the
backends used by some of the most successful Silicon Valley (and
Boston!) startups as we walk through code examples and a live demo.

Topics include:
- Job queuing vast amounts of data
- Real-time frontend updates/notifications
- Monitoring performance metrics and troubleshooting
- Scaling from a single server to hundreds using the same pattern
- Lessons learned in production

The talk will be given by Jeff Seibert, the Co-Founder and CEO of
Crashlytics, the leading provider of real-time crash detection and
analysis for mobile applications. In 2007, Seibert co-founded Palo
Alto-based Increo and served as its COO and Architect until its
acquisition by Box.net in August of 2009. He subsequently oversaw the
integration of Increo’s document processing, preview and annotation
technologies into Box’s CCM platform.

Over the past 5 years, Seibert has designed, implemented, and scaled
cloud-based and distributed processing systems intended to handle 100
jobs per day to 100 Million jobs per day. He holds a Computer Science
degree from Stanford University and was selected as a Mayfield Fellow
in 2007.

-------------------------
Thursday, August 30
-------------------------

Yemen at the Crossroads: Between Humanitarian and Development
Priorities in the Face of Insecurity
WHEN  Thu., Aug. 30, 2012, 6 p.m.
WHERE  Cason Room, Taubman Building, 1st Floor, 5 Eliot Street,
Harvard Kennedy School
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Middle East Initiative
SPEAKER(S)  Mohammed Qazilbash, Yemen Country Director, Mercy Corps
LINK  http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/project/64/middle_east_initiative.html

---------------------------
Saturday, September 1
---------------------------

Tour of International Markets
Sat, September 1st
2pm-3:30pm
Union Square, Somerville
As part of our ArtsUnion project, the Somerville Arts Council gives
tours of Union Square international food markets. Join us and learn
where to find ingredients like Nepalese timur (a fragrant spice used
in pickles), squid ink pasta and Haitian akasan (a cornmeal drink).
Beyond discovering the culinary exotica available in Union Square,
we’ll learn about the history of these stores and how their clientele
represents the cultural community of Somerville. Each tour visits
three markets and we’ll point out others along the way. Featured
markets include: Casa de Carne, Well Foods Plus Halal Market, La
Internacional, Little India, New Bombay Market, Pao de Acucar &
Brazilian Buffet and the Reliable Market. Without leaving Union
Square, we’ll visit Brazil, Korea, India, Nepal, Guatemala and Haiti!
Dates:  Sat, September 1st, 2pm-3:30pm Thur, September 13th,
6pm-7:30pm Cost: free How to sign up: send an emailtoartsuniontour at gmail.com

--------------------------
Sunday, September 2
--------------------------

The Circus of the Possibilitarians
Sunday, September 2nd
3 pm
Cambridge Common, Cambridge

kicks off Harvard Square’s annual “Revival Month”

Bread & Puppet Theater: The Circus of the Possibilitarians . Held
outdoors on Sunday, September 2nd at 3 pm on the Cambridge Common,
near the intersection of Mass. Ave. and Garden St., Cambridge. Free
performance [pass-the-hat donations welcome], rain or shine. For
further details, call the Boston-area Bread & Puppet Theater
information line 617-286-6694 or log onto http://www.breadandpuppet.org.

Soon to begin celebrating its 50th anniversary, the award-winning
Bread & Puppet Theater, from Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom, presents
their The Circus of the Possibilitarians on the Cambridge Common, a
public space they used to frequent prior to the mid-1980’s. Last year
the theater finally returned to help launch Harvard Square’s inaugural
“Revival Month.” And now a return engagement is in order.

The Circus of the Possibilitarians is a satirical horse and butterfly
circus, addressing pertinent national and international issues in a
clownish fashion, features rotten ideas, a wild dancing horse, a
saxophone ballet, a solemn salute to the world's casualties and much
more! Not to mention The Dire Circumstance Jubilation Ensemble
providing a little bit of brass and a lot of noise. Please take note
that if some of the circus acts are politically puzzling to adults,
accompanying children can usually explain them. The audience is
welcome to examine all the masks and puppets after the performance,
and Cheap Art will be for sale. Examples of Bread & Puppet’s work can
be found at http://www.breadandpuppet.org.

Bread & Puppet’s outdoor Circus on the Common is serving as the kick
off to what is now Harvard Square’s annual “Revival Month,” an entire
month of “reincarnations” which will spill over into early October
with the return of the HONK! Parade: Reclaim the Streets for Horns,
Bikes, and Feet Parade on Oct. 7th, a Bread & Puppet-inspired
procession on Massachusetts Avenue leading into Harvard Square’s
Oktoberfest. For complete information on Harvard Square’s “Revival
Month” visit http://www.harvardsquare.com. For more information on
HONK! and the parade that runs from Davis Square to Harvard Square,
log onto www.honkfest.org.

Special thanks to the Cambridge Arts Council and the Harvard Square
Business Association for helping make this event possible; funded in
part by the Cambridge Arts Council.

---------------------------
Tuesday, September 4
---------------------------

Meet the Loeb Fellows: Ephemeral Urbanism
WHEN  Tue., Sep. 4, 2012, 12 – 2 p.m.
WHERE  Stubbins, Room 112, Gund Hall, 48 Quincy Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Art/Design, Sustainability, Theater
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Loeb Fellowship
SPEAKER(S)  LZ Nunn, development director, Greater Lowell Community
Foundation, Lowell, MA
Jim Lasko, founder/co-artistic director, Red Moon Theater, Chicago, IL
Helen Marriage, co-founder, Artichoke, London
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO  syoung at gsd.harvard.edu
LINK  http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/news/introducing-the-2013-loeb-
fellows.html

**********
------------
Upcoming
------------
**********

American Red Cross Workplace Safety Seminar
9/5/2012
8:00 am - 9:00 am
Microsoft New England R&D Center, One Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA
02142

organization in the world and world leader in emergency response, is
offering a Workplace Safety Seminar to business leaders in
Massachusetts to assist in identifying gaps in safety protocols and
save lives by having procedures in place for any anticipated emergency.
Key speakers and panel guests include:
American Red Cross Preparedness Health and Safety Services, offering
the latest resources from the Red Cross to help your company identify
gaps in safety procedures to be proactive in emergency preparedness;
OSHA, outlining safety requirements in various workplace environments;
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, presenting the plan that
keeps their employees safe and why they feel it is so important to be
a model of safety in the community; and
Cardiac Science, demonstrating the ease of operation of a state of the
art fully automatic AED.

This event will be a benefit to your business, offering you an
opportunity to find out not just what is required of you according to
state and federal mandate, but the gaps in your preparedness plans
that can help to protect and save the lives of your staff to keep your
business running smoothing when an emergency strikes.
Audience: COOs, Property and Office Managers, Safety and Emergency
Preparedness Directors and other business managers from Boston and
across Massachusetts.
Twitter: #redcross
Contact:  tara.craft at redcross.org

---------------------------

Meet the Loeb Fellows: City Building
WHEN  Thu., Sep. 6, 2012, 12 – 2 p.m.
WHERE  Gund Hall, 48 Quincy Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Art/Design, Environmental Sciences, Health
Sciences, Sustainability
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Loeb Fellowship
SPEAKER(S)  CITY BUILDING
Ramiro Almeida, strategic planner, foreign affairs adviser and
cultural activist, Quito, Ecuador
Lynn Richards, policy director, EPA Office of Sustainable Communities,
Washington, DC
Ann Yoachim, environmental and health planner, Tulane University, New
Orleans, LA
COST  Free
CONTACT INFO  syoung at gsd.harvard.edu
LINK  http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/news/introducing-the-2013-loeb-
fellows.html

-----------------------------

The Syrian Revolution: What Lies Ahead?
WHEN  Thu., Sep. 6, 2012, 4 – 6 p.m.
WHERE  CGIS, Knafel Building, Room 262, 1737 Cambridge St, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Weatherhead Center for International Affairs,
Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University
SPEAKER(S)  Murhaf Jouejati, professor of Middle East Studies,
National Defense University; member of the Syrian National Council
CONTACT INFO  mivanova at wcfia.harvard.edu
NOTE  This event is open to the public; no registration required.
LINK  http://cmes.hmdc.harvard.edu/node/3235

-----------------------------

Meet the Loeb Fellows: Urban Transformations
WHEN  Fri., Sep. 7, 2012, 12 p.m.
WHERE  Gund Hall, 48 Quincy Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Art/Design, Humanities, Social Sciences,
Sustainability
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Loeb Fellowship at Harvard's Graduate School of
Design
SPEAKER(S)  Karen Lee Bar-Sinai, architect and co-founder, SAYA/Design
for Change, Tel Aviv, Israel
Deanna VanBuren, architectural designer, principal, FOURM, Oakland, CA
Ed Walker, social entrepreneur, founder/CEO, Regeneration Partners+
CityWorks, Roanoke, VA
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO  syoung at gsd.harvard.edu
LINK  http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/news/introducing-the-2013-loeb-
fellows.html

--------------------------------

The Green Neighbors Education Committee, Inc. and the Foundation for a
Green Future, Inc. present the next in our series of monthly Small
Business seminars. Our seminars will have workshops and/or panels on
topics of interest to small business people followed by networking
sessions where entrepreneurs can meet each other and connect.

Our September 8th, 2012 topic will be on Financing for Small
Businesses. It will run from 10:00 AM until 12:30ish PM. It will be
held at the Codman Square Library, 690 Washington Street in Dorchester
Center (Codman Square).

Please RSVP to otoney at comcast.net or call Owen at (617) 427-6293.

-------------------------------

The Fall 2012 Mid-Cambridge PLANT SWAP
Saturday September 8
NOON to 2 pm

Rain date—in case of DOWNPOUR—is Sunday, Sep. 9, 12-2

at Fayette Park (off Fayette St., across from the former Longfellow
School and library, near corner with Broadway)

Bring anything that's growing in too much abundance in your garden.
Elegant packaging not required, but please write down plant names.
We expect to have perennials, biennial seedlings, seeds, houseplants,
catalogs, pots, and lots of "whatever."

---------------------------------

WATERTOWN’S LIFE-FRIENDLY GARDEN TOUR
Sunday Sep. 9
12:30 to 5.
Free! The brochure, including a map, will soon be available at http://watertowncitizens.org/
It’s an annual (since 2007) celebration of chemical-free yards and
gardens, featuring 9 gardens this year.

--------------------------------

FUTURE ENERGY - INVESTOR FEEDBACK FORUM
9/10/2012
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Microsoft New England R&D Center, One Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA
02142

the most revolutionary energy technology of the future before it hits
mainstream. At each Future Energy event, 8 startups present to a panel
of energy and cleantech venture capital investors for feedback,
advice, and networking. The audience votes on the best presenters who
win prizes and media attention to help launch their business.

Applications to pitch can be submitted at http://ultralightstartups.com/future-energy/application-form/
The platinum sponsor for this event is the Shell International Game
Changer program.
Audience: Entrepreneurs, Investors, Media, all are welcome
Twitter: @crisdeluca
Register at http://futureenergyboston.eventbrite.com/
Editorial Comment:  Early bird tickets are $10 and general admission
is $20.  Not free but still relatively inexpensive access.

----------------------------

Tour of International Markets
Thur, September 13th
6pm-7:30pm
Union Square, Somerville

As part of our ArtsUnion project, the Somerville Arts Council gives
tours of Union Square international food markets. Join us and learn
where to find ingredients like Nepalese timur (a fragrant spice used
in pickles), squid ink pasta and Haitian akasan (a cornmeal drink).
Beyond discovering the culinary exotica available in Union Square,
we’ll learn about the history of these stores and how their clientele
represents the cultural community of Somerville. Each tour visits
three markets and we’ll point out others along the way. Featured
markets include: Casa de Carne, Well Foods Plus Halal Market, La
Internacional, Little India, New Bombay Market, Pao de Acucar &
Brazilian Buffet and the Reliable Market. Without leaving Union
Square, we’ll visit Brazil, Korea, India, Nepal, Guatemala and Haiti!
Dates: Thur, September 13th, 6pm-7:30pm Cost: free How to sign up:
send an email to artsuniontour at gmail.com

----------------------------

SOMERVILLE GARDEN CLUB PLANT SALE
Sat., Sep. 15
9 to 1
Davis Square, at the intersection of College Avenue and Holland
Street, Somerville

http://www.somervillegardenclub.org/

-----------------------------

Harvard Thinks Green 2
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
7:00pm
Sanders Theatre, Memorial Hall, 45 Quincy Street, Cambridge

Hear 6 all-star Harvard faculty presenting their big green ideas from
business, government, science, energy, health, and planning
perspectives.
Confirmed faculty speakers:

Professor Joseph Aldy, Assistant Professor of Public Policy, HKS

Professor James Anderson, Philip S. Weld Professor of Atmospheric
Chemistry, SEAS

Professor Amy Edmonson, Novartis Professor of Leadership and
Management, HBS

Professor Joyce Rosenthal, Assistant Professor of Urban Planning, GSD

Professor Daniel Schrag, Director, Harvard University Center for the
Environment; Sturgis Hooper Professor of Geology and Professor of
Environmental Science and Engineering, FAS

http://www.green.harvard.edu/thinksgreen

-----------------------------

New England Electricity Restructuring Roundtable

Friday, September 21, 2012
9:00am - 12:30pm
Foley Hoag LLP, 155 Seaport Boulevard, 13th Floor, Boston
Better Aligning Capacity Markets with Policy/Planning Objectives

Perhaps no development in the history of electricity markets in New
England and throughout the US has been more controversial than the
emergence of capacity markets. With New England contemplating numerous
changes to its capacity market design (partially in response to a FERC
order, and partially due to the efforts of ISO and other stakeholders
to better align capacity markets with planning and policy objectives),
now is a perfect time for a dedicated Roundtable on capacity markets.

In our first panel we will explore evolving regional capacity markets
in three ISOs: New England, New York, and PJM. To share both the
lessons ISOs are learning and the improvements they are contemplating,
we are very pleased to have joining us President and CEO of the New
York ISO, Stephen Whitley; Vice President of Market Operations and
Demand Response at PJM, Stu Bresler; and Vice President of Market
Development at ISO New England, Robert Ethier. We have asked Johannes
Pfeifenberger, Principal at the Brattle Group, who has worked with
many ISOs in the U.S. and beyond, to lead off the panel with an
overview of the role of capacity markets and an "apples-to-apples"
comparison of the three ISOs' capacity market designs and performances
to date.

For our second panel we have invited a cross-section of leading
stakeholder group representatives to share their perspectives on how
to better align capacity markets in New England to ensure resource
adequacy, while also meeting other important regional policy/planning
objectives. Our illustrious panel will include:

Chairman Thomas Welch, Maine Public Utilities Commission
Commissioner Elizabeth Miller, VT Deptartment of Public Service
Peter Fuller, Director of Regulatory Affairs, NRG Energy
James Daly, VP Energy Supply, Northeast Utilities

We have also asked Bob Ethier to join this 2nd panel for the Q & A and
discussion among the panelists.

Contact Name:  Susan Rivo
susan at raabassociates.org

---------------------------------

SOCIAL INTEL: GAINING INSIGHTS FROM AN OPEN SOURCE KNOWLEDGE DISCOVERY
PLATFORM
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
6:00 PM To 9:00 PM
Microsoft N.E.R.D. Center, One Memorial Drive, Cambridge

Because social media is essentially 'real-time' information, it
provides an efficiency mechanism to reduce intelligence time to action
if it can be harvested effectively. Fusing social media with
traditional intelligence information provides additional context and
connections of entities and events, which increases quality, relevance
and predictability.
Learn how with IKANOW's open source platform, Infinit.e, your
organization can gain valuable intelligence by fusing social media
data with traditional enterprise data.
Presentation will be given by one of IKANOW's Intelligence Analysts
and food and drinks will be provided by IKANOW.

Register at http://www.meetup.com/Open-Analytics-Boston/events/67990392/

----------------------------

Solidarity And Green Economy (SAGE) 2nd annual conference "Another
World Is Possible"
9am-4pm Saturday, October 13th, 2012
in Worcester, MA
Much more: http://WorcesterSAGEalliance.org

A day of resource sharing, alliance building, and collective visioning
to create and organize around equitable, democratic, and sustainable
community economies.

The conference brings together activists, organizers, community
leaders, entrepreneurs, academics, local government, non-profits, and
other individuals and organizations committed to forging more
equitable and sustainable ways of organizing our communities.

***Call for workshop proposals!***
Please fill out your workshop ideas/proposals by 5pm September 12th
here:  http://www.worcestersagealliance.org/?page_id=112

Matt Feinstein
Co-director, Media and Organizing Coordinator
Worcester Roots Project
w: 508-343-0035
c: 508-335-7783
http://worcesterroots.org

5 Pleasant St 3rd floor
Worcester, MA 01609

What's a co-director and a staff collective?  Find out more here:
http://www.worcesterroots.org/about-2/staff-and-board/why-a-staff-collective/

*************
----------------

Opportunity

---------------
*************
Where is the best yogurt on the planet made? Somerville, of course!

Join the Somerville Yogurt Making Cooperative and get a weekly quart
of the most thick, creamy, rich and tart yogurt in the world.
Membership in the coop costs $2.50 per quart. Members share the
responsibility for making yogurt in our kitchen located just outside
of Davis Sq. in FirstChurch.  No previous yogurt making experience is
necessary.

For more information checkout.
https://sites.google.com/site/somervilleyogurtcoop/home

---------------------

Boiler Rebate
If your boiler is from 1983 or earlier, Mass Save will give a $1,750
to $4,000 rebate to switch it out for a new efficient boiler that uses
the same fuel (i.e. if you have oil, you have to continue to use oil)
so long as it is installed by July 31, 2012.

Call Mass Save (866 527-7283) to sign up for a home energy assessment
or sign-up online at  www.nextsteplivinginc.com/HEET  and HEET will
receive a $10 contribution from Next Step Living for every completed
assessment.

This is a great way to reduce climate change emissions for the next 20
or so years the boiler lasts, while saving money.

------------------------

CEA Solar Hot Water Grants
Cambridge, through the Cambridge Energy Alliance initiative, is
offering a limited number of grants to residents and businesses for
solar hot water systems.  The grants will cover 50% of the remaining
out of pocket costs of the system after other incentives, up to $2,000.

Applications will be accepted up to November 19, 2012 and are
available on a first come, first serve basis until funding runs out.
The Cambridge grant will complement other incentives including the
Massachusetts Clean Energy Center solar thermal grants.  For more
information, see
http://cambridgeenergyalliance.org/resources/additional-resources/solar-hot-water-grant-program

-----------------------

Cambridge Residents: Free Home Thermal Images

Have you ever wanted to learn where your home is leaking heat by
having an energy auditor come to your home with a thermal camera?
With that info you then know where to fix your home so it's more
comfortable and less expensive to heat.  However, at $200 or so, the
cost of such a thermal scan is a big chunk of change.

HEET Cambridge has now partnered with Sagewell, Inc. to offer
Cambridge residents free thermal scans.

Sagewell collects the thermal images by driving through Cambridge in a
hybrid vehicle equipped with thermal cameras.  They will scan every
building in Cambridge (as long as it's not blocked by trees or
buildings or on a private way).  Building owners can view thermal
images of their property and an analysis online. The information is
password protected so that only the building owner can see the results.

Homeowners, condo-owners and landlords can access the thermal images
and an accompanying analysis free of charge. Commercial building
owners and owners of more than one building will be able to view their
images and analysis for a small fee.

The scans will be analyzed in the order they are requested.

Go to Sagewell.com.  Type in your address at the bottom where it says
"Find your home or building" and press return.  Then click on "Here"
to request the report.

That's it.  When the scans are done in a few weeks, your building will
be one of the first to be analyzed. The accompanying report will help
you understand why your living room has always been cold and what to
do about it.

With knowledge, comes power (or in this case saved power and money,
not to mention comfort).

---------------------

Free solar electricity analysis for MA residents
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhwM202dDYxdUZJVGFscnY1VGZ3aXc6MQ

-----------------------

HEET has partnered with NSTAR and Mass Save participating contractor
Next Step Living to deliver no-cost Home Energy Assessments to
Cambridge residents.

During the assessment, the energy specialist will:

Install efficient light bulbs (saving up to 7% of your electricity bill)
Install programmable thermostats (saving up to 10% of your heating bill)
Install water efficiency devices (saving up to 10% of your water bill)
Check the combustion safety of your heating and hot water equipment
Evaluate your home’s energy use to create an energy-efficiency roadmap
If you get electricity from NSTAR, National Grid or Western Mass
Electric, you already pay for these assessments through a surcharge on
your energy bills.  You might as well use the service.

Please sign up at http://nextsteplivinginc.com/heet/?outreach=HEET or
call Next Step Living at 866-867-8729.  A Next Step Living
Representative will call to schedule your assessment.

HEET will help answer any questions and ensure you get all the
services and rebates possible.

(The information collected will only be used to help you get a Home
Energy Assessment.  We won’t keep the data or sell it.)

(If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to call
HEET’s Jason Taylor at 617 441 0614.)

*********
-----------

Resource

-----------
*********

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide

SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green
Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!

To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for
sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

Foundation found that 77% of respondents believe that global warming
has “probably been happening” and 59% of all respondents see see it as
being at least partially caused by human pollution.  Only 42% of the
state’s residents say global warming will have very serious
consequences for Massachusetts if left unaddressed. The 18 to 29 age
group is more likely to believe global warming is appearing and caused
by humans compared to the 60+ age group.  African-American (56%) and
Latino residents (69%) are more likely than white residents (40%) to
believe global warming will be a very serious problem if left
unaddressed.  The MassINC report, titled The 80 Percent Challenge:
What Massachusetts must do to meet targets and make headway on climate
change (http://www.massinc.org/Research/The-80-percent-
challenge.aspx), contains many other findings.

Free Monthly Energy Analysis

CarbonSalon is a free service that every month can automatically track
your energy use and compare it to your past energy use (while
controlling for how cold the weather is). You get a short friendly
email that lets you know how you’re doing in your work to save energy.

https://www.carbonsalon.com/

---------------------------------------

Boston Food System

"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post
announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships,
programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles
or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's
food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take
place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."

The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food
system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food,
farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health,
environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of
organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on
week-to-week is not always well publicized.

Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let
everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of
subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and
other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

----------------------

Artisan Asylum  http://artisansasylum.com/

Sprout & Co:  Community Driven Investigations

Greater Boston Solidarity Economy Mapping Project  http://www.transformationcentral.org/solidarity/mapping/mapping.html
a project by Wellesley College students that invites participation,
contact jmatthaei at wellesley.edu

------------------------

Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

Links to events at 60 colleges and universities at Hubevents   http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to

Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering in the
Boston Area  http://www.BostonScienceLectures.com

Boston Area Computer User Groups  http://www.bugc.org/

Arts and Cultural Events List  http://aacel.blogspot.com/

http://www.massclimateaction.net/calendar/events/index.php