[act-ma] 10/1 Skillshare: Effective Volunteer Engagement

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 06:13:18 PDT 2012

Need volunteers to help with your charitable endeavors? Join Socializing
for Justice for a Skillshare on Effective Volunteer Engagement on October
1, 6:00 - 8:30 PM.

Register at www.sojust.org - Newcomers always welcomed!
Event fee: $10-$20 cash at the door.

SoJust hosts events that draw progressives of all stripes that share common
values but may work on different issues. We create social spaces that allow
for the possibility of cross-issue connections and run a Skillshare Series,
hosted by The NonProfit Center*, which increases our individual capacity
for movement building.

6:00-6:30 Socializing - bring your own dinner (microwave and water cooler
available)
6:30-8:30 Training and Q & A

Effective Volunteer Engagement
How do we attract and engage motivated volunteers who will further our
charitable work? We will consider motivation, from the benefits of
volunteering to our needs and the effort required to manage/support
volunteers. No prior knowledge expected—We'll start with fundamentals.
Participants will come away with a position description template and
strategic approaches for customized volunteer recruitment and engagement.

ABOUT OUR PRESENTER
Lori Tsuruda is the founder and executive director of People Making a
Difference® (PMD), a non-profit which organizes one-time, hands-on
volunteer projects for individuals and trains and assists nonprofit leaders
in quality volunteer management. She recruits and manages 750+
volunteers/year and helps charities and companies improve their community
involvement programs. In the past 20 years, she has engaged more than 6,300
PMD volunteers in 950+ service projects helping 124 charities in Greater
Boston. She is leading the Directors of Volunteer Administration (DOVA) in
Boston for her seventh term.

*DIRECTIONS<http://www.nonprofitcenterboston.org/site/c.ddKGIQNuEmG/b.1363373/k.5381/About_Us__Directions.htm>-
The NonProfit Centeris located one block from South Station at 89
South Street. The Center is
accessible through the main lobby to people who have restricted physical
abilities.

HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
Invite friends to the Facebook event <http://goo.gl/iYR5Q>.

Join the SoJust Facebook group <http://on.fb.me/SoJust>.

On Twitter? Follow @SoJust <http://www.twitter.com/sojust> and SoJust's
Co-Founder @RobbieSamuels <http://www.twitter.com/robbiesamuels>. Don’t
forget to tweet about this event using #sojust!

Socializing for Justice - www.sojust.org
SoJust is all about building a cross-cultural, cross-issue progressive
community, network and movement in Boston. We're doing it by putting the
SOCIAL back in SOCIAL JUSTICE. We focus on creating welcoming spaces that
foster relationship-building across issue silos.

SoJust isn't a non-profit 501(c)(3) and receives no outside funding. We're
a grassroots volunteer-run member-supported cross-issue progressive
community that's been growing steadily since August 2006. We have 2,000+
members, we have hosted 130+ events and we manage an online hub of
progressive events and resources at www.sojust.org. If you've benefited
from this cross-issue progressive network please contribute the suggested
annual membership fee of $25. You may do this
online<http://www.sojust.org/dues/>or at any of our events. Thank you
for helping us continue to provide a
space for like-minded progressives of all stripes.

Want to know more about SoJust? Check out our Frequently Asked
Questions<http://www.sojust.org/messages/boards/thread/3187615>and
past
event photos <http://sojust.org/photos/>!