[act-ma] 10/26-28: N. E. WTR Gathering, Cambridge MA

Edward Agro edagro12 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 10 15:20:46 PDT 2012

27th Annual New England Regional Gathering of War Tax Resisters & Supporters*

Registration for the Gathering is now open, and we would appreciate that
registration forms be returned by October 20th. For a brochure and
registration form, send an e-mail to wartax at verizon.net . Indicate whether
you would like the materials as a PDF e-mail attachment, or by hard copy
via regular mail. If you don't get an acknowledgement within 24 hours, be
in touch with Larry Dansinger at rosc at psouth.net or at (207) 525-7776. Here
follows a description of the Gathering.

Forms of War Tax Resistance: Where We've Been & Where We're Going

Friday-Sunday, October 26-28, 2012

October 26-27:
Cambridge Friends Meeting,
9 Longfellow Park,
Cambridge, MA

October 28:
Democracy Center,
45 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge

The 27th annual New England Regional Gathering of War Tax Resisters
provides an opportunity to gain the information and make the connections
necessary to successfully practice war tax resistance/refusal/redirection
(WTR). The gathering is for both new and experienced war tax resisters as
well as for those just testing the waters. Together we will share and
expand our community of resistance. This year we're hoping that
ex-resisters will also share their experiences with us, so that together we
can see how to build a stronger and more supportive WTR community.

Theme of the Gathering:
We need a vibrant war tax resistance/ refusal/redirection (WTR) movement
for a strong anti-war movement; we need an active anti-war movement and
strong movements for social and economic justice, democratic institutions,
reduced resource consumption, and local economies, etc. for a healthy WTR
movement. This gathering helps build that movement in New England and
beyond. We need to support those who have been active in WTR to insure they
are able to continue their resistance.

At this year's Gathering we'll take a deliberate look at the history of War
Tax Resistance here in New England. Then we'll explore what the future
might hold and where we're going. Our Friday evening opening session will
feature debate and discussion focusing on the past and present. On Saturday
we'll take the discussion further and examine possibilities for the future.
Interspersed in the discussion will be information on the basics, and there
will be lots of opportunities to network and bring ourselves up to date
with our friends, fellow resisters, and folks who would like to learn more
about this important form of civil disobedience.

Suggested cost for the entire weekend is $10-50 per adult; no one will be
turned away for lack of funds.

Walk-in registration is also OK, but we encourage you to register in
advance, which will help with planning, meals, and logistics. We can only
guarantee childcare for those who pre-register by Oct. 20th. For
last-minute questions, contact

Alan Clemence, breezyfield at yahoo.com, (207) 631-1158 or Larry Dansinger,
rosc at psouth.net, (207) 525-7776.

Schedule (Tentative)

Friday evening (Cambridge Friends)
5-7 pm: Registration and dinner
6:45-7:15 pm: Welcome and logistics
7:15-9:00 pm: Panel discussion. “Does WTR Have a Political Future?” trying
to answer questions such as, Why resist? Why keep on resisting? Why stop
resisting? Does WTR have a political future?
9-9:45 pm: Networking, informal discussions

Saturday (Cambridge Friends)
7:30-8:45 am: Breakfast
9-9:30 am: Welcome & introductions
9:30-noon: Morning semi-structured small groups (or one large one) looking
at past and current WTR. What have been different “arcs” of participation
in WTR? Is WTR in decline? How do we balance or compare resistance as
personal action vs. social movement? Groups will report back on what they
gleaned from discussion of past and current WTR efforts.
Noon -1 pm: Lunch
1:30-3:30 pm: Large/small-group discussions again: Is there a future for
WTR in the coming years? How is WTR different in this “age of inequity?”
Will many more “resist” by being under taxable levels? Is a new WTR
movement needed, and possible?
4-5 pm: Q&A for new and potential WTRs,
planning for next year’s Gathering, OR
other small-group discussions (make an offer)
5-6 pm: Free time
6-7 pm: Dinner
7:30 pm: Talent show. Bring your instruments, voices, songs, poetry, jokes,
skits, etc.

Sunday (Democracy Center)
8-9 am: Breakfast
9:15-11am: Local reports, national/NWTRCC report, Possible follow up
initiatives to Saturday discussions, other next steps
11-11:45 am: A capella singing or dance or skit or ?
Noon-1:30 pm: Lunch and cleanup

Location & facilities

Friday and Saturday programs will be held at Cambridge Friends Meeting, 9
Longfellow Park, Cambridge, just off Brattle Street (about 6-8 blocks west
on Brattle St. from Harvard Square and MBTA Red Line subway stop). The
building is wheelchair accessible, and has a large meeting room, kitchen,
and smaller rooms.

Sunday meetings take place at the Democracy Center, 45 Mount Auburn St.,
Cambridge, MA, very close to the Harvard Square stop on the MBTA’s Red
Line. The Democracy Center is a meeting space for many progressive social
change groups. The space, unfortunately, is not wheelchair accessible.
Detailed directions to the sites will be sent to you upon receipt of
registration.

Meals, housing & childcare
Six vegetarian meals will be provided from Friday supper through Sunday
lunch. Participants will be asked to help with meal preparation and
cleanup. Please indicate on the registration form any special dietary needs
or restrictions. Joanne Sheehan and Rick Gaumer of Pacifeast Catering will
be cooking.

Housing will be “on your own,” but we will have bed and couch spaces
available for anyone who needs a place to stay overnight. Please note that
on the registration form, and we will contact you to make those
arrangements, either before the weekend or when you arrive at Cambridge
Friends Meeting.

Childcare is available at no cost for Friday evening and Saturday
activities at Cambridge Friends Meeting. You must register by Oct. 20th
indicating your need for childcare to be guaranteed that it will be available.

* Addendum by the poster: as indicated in the above description, the
Gathering working group would like to welcome ex- and on-and-off war tax
refusers such as myself in addition to the usual more faithful resisters.
Everyone's counsel and experiences of WTR, good or bad, will help us figure
out how better to integrate WTR into the rest of the antiwar movement, and
the antiwar movement into the rest of American society.