[act-ma] Wednesday forum - Building the Case for Equity w Dr. Shakti Butler - SCHOLARSHIP TICKETS AVAILABLE

Baril, Nashira NBaril at bphc.org
Mon Oct 22 13:21:21 PDT 2012

Hello!

We hope you are planning to attend the film screening and community dialogue tomorrow night at the Strand Theatre! Free and pay-what-you-can tickets are available at the door. $20 for reception w the filmmaker at 5:30pm.  How about joining us on Wednesday? If you have been yearning for the space to dive deeper into strategies for racial justice that speak to the head and the heart, please consider clearing your schedule and joining us this Wednesday in Hibernian Hall with Dr. Shakti Butler as she facilitates a forum on racial equity - connecting the personal and the system.

We have plenty of scholarships available (call us!) and want you, your colleagues, comrades, allies, members,  neighbors, etc. to attend.  Trust me, this  one's worth it!

If $100 isn't do-able let us know and we'll make it work. Please spread the word far and wide! This is NOT TO BE MISSED!

DETAILS:
October 24, 9AM-5PM / Breakfast and lunch provided!

Hibernian Hall - 184 Dudley St, Boston, MA, 02119 (3rd floor)

https://www.eventbrite.com/event/4514791864?ref=emobiem

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Please join us for an evening of film and community dialogue featuring Dr. Shakti Butler's new work Cracking the Codes: The System of Racial Inequity on Tuesday, October 23rd at 6:30 pm at the Strand Theatre in Dorchester, MA. This groundbreaking documentary is part of an initiative, envisioned by the Oakland-based filmmaker, designed to ask America to talk about the causes and consequences of systemic inequity and come together to build a movement for healing and change. Shakti will be joined by local community activist and host of WBUR's "¡Con Salsa!," José Massó and Kilombo Novo Capoeira Angola. This promises to be a powerful event - not to be missed! Buy your tickets in advance and join us for a reception with the filmmaker!

The next day Shakti is offering a forum called "Connecting the Head and Heart: Building the Case for Equity," designed to deepen our individual and collective understanding of the system of inequity. Through interactive learning modules and group work participants will explore strategies to achieve personal, organizational, and systemic transformation. The forum will take place on October 24th from 9am to 5 pm at Hibernian Hall in Roxbury. This is a great professional development and networking opportunity for organizers, youth workers, students, social justice advocates, and others looking to deepen their role in advancing racial justice. (Attendance at the film screening and dialogue is strongly encouraged for those interested in attending the forum.)

We hope you will join us and others as we come together to advance racial justice in Boston. For more information and tickets visit: www.crackingthecodes.org/boston<http://www.crackingthecodes.org/boston> or leave a detailed message at 617-534-4959 and someone will get back to you.

Please spread the word! (Advance apologies for cross-postings!)
We have posters and postcards available, please let us know if you can put them to good use!

I look forward to seeing you there,
Nashira

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CDB071.45A3AD00]
Nashira Baril, MPH
Co-Director, Center for Health Equity and Social Justice
A Center of Excellence in the Elimination of Disparities
Boston Public Health Commission
1010 Massachusetts Avenue, 6th floor
Boston, MA 02118

www.bphc.org/healthequity