[act-ma] Saturday 1/12: community service for climate justice, Jamaica Plain

Boston Climate Action Network (BostonCAN) bostonclimateaction at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:02:33 PST 2013

Come out this Saturday for community service for climate justice. We need
policy change but while we fight those political battles, we can also do
everything in our power to make our own community as sustainable as
possible. We can show how energy efficiency can be done by everyone, and we
can build relationships of solidarity between climate activists and
communities that have often been under-represented in the climate movement.

Come out to the *Green Minga: Barnraising and Job Fair*

When: *Saturday, January 12, 11pm – 5pm*

Where: Yolanda’s home. Minden St, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 (register for the
exact address<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEJhekhfQno5VDZuak91WEZvNGM5NkE6MA#gid=0>
)

money at home. See demonstrations of energy efficiency techniques and
receive  hands-on training. For job seekers this will be an excellent
opportunity to connect with potential employers and training programs. We
also welcome parents with young children, and we’ll have special activities
for them in a safe place.

"Minga" is a term used in some Andean communities for collective
agriculture work days to benefit the community. Our Green Minga Barnraising
will provide direct energy saving services to three Latino households in
this older triple-decker, and will call attention to the links between
energy efficiency, ecological sustainability, and social equity. The
owner-occupants have experienced roadblocks to accessing the MassSave
program, barriers that have affected many moderate- and low-income
homeowners in Boston. Help draw attention to the need for solutions to
these barriers and  learn new skills, cut carbon directly, and make new
friends.

Please let us know if you're coming so we can have enough food for
everyone. Call Loie at 857-544-6846 or Catalina at 857-244-9104 or online
at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEJhekhfQno5VDZuak91WEZvNGM5NkE6MA#gid=0

--

~Loie Hayes