[act-ma] We need help planning RootsCamp MA - an unconference to build a stronger movement

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 17:57:29 PST 2013

Hello fellow activists and organizers!

It's very, very rare that Socializing for Justice
<http://www.sojust.org>finds an opportunity to co-sponsor events
because
we purposely don't align ourselves with single issue groups. So it is with
great pleasure that I share that Socializing for Justice has once
again partnered
with New Organizing Institute <http://neworganizing.com> (NOI) to host
RootsCamp MA in early 2013. Just over two years ago, we gathered almost 100
local activists to discuss the successes and challenges facing social
change organizations, and to help create a diverse, powerful and inclusive
gathering of passionate activists. We heard each others organizing
challenges and left with solutions to make our individual and collective
efforts stronger and better.
*
*
*We're ready to do this again, but we need your help. **We're looking for a
few more people to join the RootsCamp Organizing Committee.* Our first
planning meeting is on Monday, January 28th in downtown Boston. Email
robbie at robbiesamuels.com to get the details. We're doing this as volunteers
and could very much use your help to make this happen and strengthen
Massachusetts' cross-issue progressive community, network and movement (see
it's right in line with SoJust's vision!). We also need organizations to
sign up as a RootsCamp MA partner and commit to spreading the word to their
community.

*What's RootsCamp?** *It's a friendly environment where you'll have
time to make
real connections with people working on and interested in lots of different
issues. (Sound familiar?) Over one weekend in Boston, RootsCamp MA will
bring together a broad spectrum of organizers to discuss and collaborate,
share lessons learned, and drive the conversation about best practices in
social justice organizing. We'll discuss the successes and challenges facing
activists and organizers. With your help we'll bring together diverse
voices and perspectives from across the state and create a powerful,
inclusive, and productive event. Join us, and help drive the progressive
movement forward.

*How's it organized? *It's an "unconference" - meaning YOU get to present a
session without having to submit a proposal ahead of time. The whole point
of this RootsCamp unconference is for local organizers to own and
drive the conversation.
It's the only conference this year where you are guaranteed to have a
chance to talk about what YOU want to talk about. It's part reflection: a
candid environment to share what's working and what isn't. It's also a
chance to get to know each other better and plan the year ahead. Here's a
quick video explaining the unconference concept: http://youtu.be/wM6htb8Hifg
.

*Who should attend RootsCamp MA?* Change agents and progressives of all
stripes, from across Massachusetts, who have lessons to share, more to
learn, or campaigns and projects to move forward.  Whether you consider
yourself a "progressive" or simply work on an issue or matter that moves
our country forward, add your voice and perspective -- help shape and take
ownership over RootsCamp.

**When is it? Where is it?* *This will be determined by the Organizing
Committee. Get involved now and help us create this welcoming space for
passionate activists. Email robbie at robbiesamuels.com to RSVP for the first
planning meeting on Monday, January 28th in downtown Boston.

For Justice,
Robbie
*____________________*
      @RobbieSamuels <http://www.twitter.com/robbiesamuels> |
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/robbiesamuels> |
Fan Page <http://facebook.com/ArtoftheSchmooze> |
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/robbiesamuels>

*        Trainer and Consultant |
RobbieSamuels.com<http://www.robbiesamuels.com/>
*
                 Networking |
ArtoftheSchmooze.com<http://www.artoftheschmooze.com/>
                    Fundraising | PastTheFear.com<http://www.pastthefear.com/>

          SocializingforJustice.org <http://socializingforjustice.org/>* *|
@SoJust <http://www.twitter.com/sojust> | FB
Group<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8770189934>

*  Do you need business cards?** *Get up to 80% off
VistaPrint<http://vistaprint.tellapal.com/a/clk/96qxW>
.