[act-ma] Thu 1/17 @ 7 pm. Expanding Healthcare in El Salvador - the Boston Connection

Paul Malachi Penchalapadu paul.malachi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 07:06:41 PST 2013

Interesting event tomorrow. Please distribute. Thanks, Paul
*
*
*Expanding Healthcare in El Salvador *
*
*
*the Boston Connection*

with

*Dr. Ramón Antonio Abrego González*
*
Director, San Juan de Rios Regional Hospital, Santa Ana, El Salvador
*

&

*Charlie Welch*
*Technology for Social Change (TecsChange)*
*
*

*
*
*Thu. Jan 17 @ 7 pm*

*MIT 3 - 333*
77 Mass Ave, Cambridge

*Facebook Event*
 http://tinyurl.com/a8beyng

Free and open to the public.

*
*
*About TecsChange*
*
*In 1992, participants of Computers and Social Change Conference in Boston
came together to discuss a common interest in technological use in
developing countries. Connecting our computer skills with our desire to
support progressive grassroots organizing, we founded TecsChange.

Several of the founders of TecsChange came from the national organization
called TecNica. TecNica recruited technical volunteers to work in
Nicaragua, during the Sandinista era.

We are volunteers, mostly from the Boston area, with software, hardware and
computer training skills, as well as non-technical skills. We have a
diverse membership and welcome volunteers at all skill levels. Our one
volunteer requirement aligns with our mission: to support progressive
social change here and in the developing world. Some of us have traveled to
and/or worked in Latin America and Southern Africa, using our technical
skills to train people in grassroots groups to set up software and hardware
systems.

Some of us have traveled to and/or worked in Latin America and Southern
Africa, using our technical skills to train people in grassroots groups to
set up software and hardware systems. Last year, TecsChange shipped 40
computers to San Juan de Rios Regional Hospital in El Salvador. TecsChange
recently started sending computers to grassroots groups organizing in
India.

*About the speaker*

Dr. Ramón Antonio Abrego González is a pediatric surgeon from El Salvador.
Since 2009 he has been Director of the San Juan de Dios regional hospital
in Santa Ana, one of only five level-3 public hospitals in the country,
where a network of 30 hospitals serves a population of over 6 million. As
Director, Dr. Abrego has worked to implement the universal health care
reform that is underway in El Salvador. Dr. Abrego comes to Boston to forge
ties with medical professionals and institutions interested in sharing
experiences and resources with hospitals in El Salvador.

“San Juan de Dios” Regional Hospital of the Province of Santa Ana, El
Salvador. Built in 1842 and rebuilt and expanded over the years, this
hospital is a 500 beds public hospital with 1,140 employees. It has two
hundred and ten medical doctors and four hundred and twenty nurses. It
provides over 900 outpatient appointments everyday and takes care of 200
emergencies
daily.