[act-ma] RootsCamp, SoJust Open House, Time Mgmt, Singles Party and much more

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 06:05:10 PST 2013

Hey fellow activists and organizers,

We're just shy of our 2200 member at www.sojust.org. #2200 will be invited
to attend Connecting for Justice as our guest. Tell your friends!

This e-newsletter is full of ways that SoJust can help make your
resolutions come true! Hope to see you soon.

*SoJust Events - more details below - register at www.sojust.org.*

1/28: RootsCamp MA Planning Meeting

1/31: Connecting for Justice (Open House)

2/4: Skillshare: Time Management

2/14: Dating While Progressive (Singles Party)

3/4: Skillshare: Fundraising - Getting Past the Fear of Asking

*From our Progressive Events Calendar:*

*Community Events*

1/17: [ADVOCACY] Action Day for Transgender Equal
Access<http://www.sojust.org/events/96238662/> TODAY
11am-1pm

1/19:  [TRAINING] Student Organizer Boot
Camp<http://www.sojust.org/events/99511552/>

1/19:  [WORKSHOP] Raise Your Voice: A day of empowerment for girls &
women<http://www.sojust.org/events/99508302/>

*View dozens of cross-promoted events at www.sojust.org/calendar.
Post your own event - follow these instructions: www.bit.ly/post2SoJust.*

*
*

*From our Message Board:*

Job: Mattapan Square Main Streets, executive
director<http://www.sojust.org/messages/boards/thread/30400242>

Internship: Health Law
Advocates<http://www.sojust.org/messages/boards/thread/30217402>

*View volunteer opportunities, job openings, calls for action, etc. at
www.sojust.org/boards.
**Post your own - follow these instructions: www.bit.ly/post2SoJust*.

*RootsCamp MA Planning Meeting <http://www.sojust.org/events/100046292>
Monday, January 28 at 6PM*
at an office downtown by Park Street (RSVP for directions)

*I sent an email a few days ago about RootsCamp. If you missed it, scroll
all the way down and you'll find that email with a lot more details. *As
I've mentioned, it's very, very rare that Socializing for
Justice<http://www.sojust.org/> finds
an opportunity to co-sponsor events because we purposely don't align
ourselves with single issue groups. So it is with great pleasure that I
share that Socializing for Justice has once again partnered with New
Organizing Institute <http://neworganizing.com/> (NOI) to host RootsCamp MA
in early 2013. Just over two years ago, we gathered almost 100 local
activists to discuss the successes and challenges facing social change
organizations, and to help create a diverse, powerful and inclusive
gathering of passionate activists. We heard each others organizing
challenges and left with solutions to make our individual and collective
efforts stronger and better.

*We're ready to do this again, but we need your help. **We're looking for a
few more people to join the RootsCamp Organizing Committee.* *Our first
planning meeting is on Monday, January 28th in downtown Boston. Email
robbie at robbiesamuels.com to get the details. *We're doing this as
volunteers and could very much use your help to make this happen and
strengthen Massachusetts' cross-issue progressive community, network and
movement (see it's right in line with SoJust's vision!). We also need
organizations to sign up as a RootsCamp MA partner and commit to spreading
the word to their community. *More information: *
http://www.sojust.org/events/100046292

*Connecting for Justice (SoJust's Open
House)<http://www.sojust.org/events/91627292/>
**Thursday, January 31 at 6PM
*at Lir by Hynes Convention Center

*Meet like-minded progressives and get connected to great social justice
organizations in Boston*. *Haven't been to a Socializing for Justice
event?* It’s
time to meet the friendly faces of the group that’s grown to 2200 members,
hosted 140+ events and fostered hundreds of connections since our founding
6+ years ago. *As always we'll help you meet people - so no worries if
you're new to SoJust*, plus we'll have "I'M LOOKING FOR" and "ASK ME ABOUT"
tags at our CONNECTIONS CORNER, which is staffed by our amazing STARZ.
We'll also have our wildly popular JOBS BOARD - are you a hiring manager?
Post your job opening or volunteer opportunity and we'll bring it to this
event. Follow these instructions: http://www.bit.ly/post2SoJust

*ACTION STATIONS* If you're involved with a group or project and want to
spread the word bring flyers for the free lit table. If you have an action
that can be done in 2 minutes (sign a petition) or within 2 weeks of the
event (attend rally, stuff mass mailing) bring it so SoJusters can get
connected to you and your work. This is not a typical tabling event,
there'll be lots of opportunity to schmooze and network! Email
robbie at robbiesamuels.com for more information about the Action Stations.
*Cost:* $5-$20 collected at the door. *Newcomers always welcomed!*
(every $10 includes raffle ticket for a $20 Trader Joe's gift card) *
Complimentary appetizers will be provided.*
*RSVP: *http://www.sojust.org/events/91627292/

*Skillshare: Value-Based Time Management by Hillary
Rettig<http://www.sojust.org/events/95749882/>
*
*Monday, February 4 at 6PM*
at The NonProfit Center by South Station
Was one of your resolutions to be more productive? More organized? Find
balance between work and everything else that matters to you? This workshop
begins with a discussion of how time should be viewed and valued; why one
needs to manage it; and how successful people tend to view and use time.
Then we move onto the five foundational principles of time management, and
contrast examples of managed and unmanaged time schedules. We then discuss
right and wrong ways to use time, lifestyles that support and inhibit
success, and techniques for budgeting and tracking your time. We also
discuss how to set priorities; how to decide and maintain boundaries; and
how to “create” time through delegation and other techniques. Finally, we
discuss tips for sticking to your schedule, and dealing with unsupportive
people. After the workshop, many participants report being more productive
and less stressed.
*
*
*Register:* http://www.sojust.org/events/95749882/<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sojust.org%2Fevents%2F95749882%2F&h=aAQHczvMd&s=1>
$10 in advance, $10-$20 (sliding scale) cash at the door if space available

*Dating While Progressive <http://www.sojust.org/events/93901962/>*
*Thursday, February 14 at 6PM*
at Lir by Hynes Convention Center

*Happy Valentine's Day!* Ready to meet some like-minded progressives? Then
you'll want to join us for Dating While Progressive, a fun and welcoming
singles party!* This *Socializing for Justice* event is co-hosted by the
Boston chapter of the *National Organization for Men Against Sexism*
(NOMAS-Boston), the
Boston chapter of the *New Leaders Council* (NLC Boston), the *Bisexual
Resource Center*, the *Boston Queer Polyamorous Women's Group*, and *New
Wave - Young Boston Feminists.*

**YES, WE MEAN YOU.* Anyone who's single and/or available is invited!
Attendees are all ages, races, genders, sexual orientations, levels of
activism and professions. Some just moved to Boston and others were born
here. We hope you see someone like yourself and meet someone you otherwise
wouldn't have.
*Cost:* $5-$20 collected at the door. *Newcomers always welcomed!*
(every $10 includes raffle ticket for a $20 Trader Joe's gift card) *
*

*A great spread of complimentary appetizers will be provided.
**RSVP:** *http://www.sojust.org/events/93901962/

*Skillshare: Fundraising - Getting Past the Fear of Asking by Robbie
Samuels<http://www.sojust.org/events/98994512/>
**Monday, March 4 at 6PM
*at The NonProfit Center by South Station

*Do you want to raise money to support the causes and organizations you
care about? *This engaging coaching session focuses on getting past the
fear of asking and how to avoid some common mistakes. Learn an easy way to
sort through contact lists and build a strong prospect list based on the 3
Cs of fundraising: capacity, connection and commitment. Learn specific
language for how to make a strong ask, based on the relationship-building
tips shared in *Art of the Schmooze*, and ten tips that will make your next
fundraising plan a success. "If you are afraid to ask for money, kick
yourself out of the way and let the cause talk."
*Register: *http://www.sojust.org/events/98994512/
$10 in advance, $10-$20 (sliding scale) cash at the door if space available

HELP SPREAD THE WORD!

<http://bit.ly/SoJustSix>

Join the SoJust Facebook group <http://on.fb.me/SoJust>.

On Twitter? Follow @SoJust <http://www.twitter.com/sojust> and SoJust's
Co-Founder @RobbieSamuels <http://www.twitter.com/robbiesamuels>. Don’t
forget to tweet about SoJust using #sojust!

Socializing for Justice -
<http://www.sojust.org/>www.sojust.org<http://www.sojust.org/>
SoJust is all about building a cross-cultural, cross-issue progressive
community, network and movement in Boston. We're doing it by putting the
SOCIAL back in SOCIAL JUSTICE. We focus on creating welcoming spaces that
foster relationship-building across issue silos.

SoJust isn't a non-profit 501(c)(3) and receives no outside funding. We're
a grassroots volunteer-run member-supported cross-issue progressive
community that's been growing steadily since August 2006. We have almost
2,200 members, we have hosted 145+ events and we manage an online hub of
progressive events and resources at www.sojust.org. If you've benefited
from this cross-issue progressive network please contribute the suggested
annual membership fee of $25. You may do this
online<http://www.sojust.org/dues/> or
at any of our events. Thank you for helping us continue to provide a space
for like-minded progressives of all stripes.

Want to know more about SoJust? Check out our Frequently Asked
Questions<http://www.sojust.org/messages/boards/thread/3187615>
 and past event photos <http://sojust.org/photos/>!