[act-ma] 2/12 Screening of Michel Gondry’s film on Noam’s theory of language.

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Mon Feb 4 06:16:46 PST 2013

*_*A FREE Screening and Q&A with Director Michel Gondry and Prof. Noam
Chomsky*
_*

    Is the Man Who is Tall Happy?: An Animated Conversation with Noam
    Chomsky <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1817287/>(2013)

February 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm in MIT Building 26- room 100
<http://lsc.mit.edu/26-100>

      This FREE screening will be followed by a Q&A session with
      Director Michel Gondry and MIT Professor Noam Chomsky.

*Funded (in part) by a Director's Grant from the Council for the Arts at
MIT <http://arts.mit.edu/about/camit/>.*

/Is the Man Who is Tall Happy?/ is an animated documentary on the life
of MIT professor and linguist Noam Chomsky. Directed by Michel Gondry
(/Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind/, /The Science of Sleep/), the
film features a series of conversations between Gondry and Chomsky as
they explore the life and work of Noam Chomsky.

    "My conversations with Professor Chomsky were lively, sometime
    complex, always very human. Through my illustrations, we follow the
    winding path of my halting and incomplete understanding. Noam is
    often patient, sometime less so. The trail always follows unexpected
    bends. The process and logic of Noam's stream of ideas have
    determined the transitions and evolution of my drawings. The concept
    of 'animated documentary' finds a perfect justification here.

    At the heart of the conversation, we encounter Noam's theory of the
    emergence of language. Listening to Noam discuss this topic made we
    wonder what it would have been like to meet the astronomer Edwin
    Hubble and listen to him talk about the red shift he observed from
    distant galaxies and how it led to the theory of the big bang. Maybe
    that is a weak comparison, but it is another way of simply saying I
    felt privileged to have this dialogue.

    In the end, what will stay the most with me in these discussions is
    Noam Chomsky's humanity, the way he respects people's different ways
    of life, their beliefs - and, above all, the way he often includes
    his wife, Carol Chomsky, in the conversations, and in some way keeps
    her alive and next to him."

    /-- Director Michel Gondry

    /

Preview and more info at