[act-ma] 3/17 St. Patrick's Day 'The Battle of the Bogside' (film screening & discussion)

Commchurch.org info at commchurch.org
Tue Mar 12 12:42:24 PDT 2013

THE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON
SUNDAY SPEAKERS FORUM presents...

Sunday, March 17, 2013
11:00am

Saint Patrick's Day weekend
KEVIN DEVINE & FRIENDS
"St. Patrick's Day 'The Battle of the Bogside' film, August, 1969"

A peaceful march for civil and human rights in Derry, Northern Ireland joins
with a protest against the loyalist "Apprentice Boys" parade which marches
past the nationalist area of the Bogside thereby triggering nationalist
resistance. When the police, Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) attempted to
restore order in the Bogside Area of Derry, the nationalist resistance of
the Bogside prevented them from entering that area of Derry. When entrance
to the Bogside was not possible they called upon the British Army  to
restore control. The Bogside resistance and widespread rebellion in other
parts of the North of Ireland  became known as the "Troubles". Kevin and
Friends discuss these events and their relevance to today.

Kevin Devine is a member of the Community Church of Boston. He is a constant
follower of Irish politics and history and received a B.A. in History in
1971 from Boston University.

Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St. (Copley Square)
www.communitychurchofboston.org

*************

JOIN US ON SUNDAYS

11:00am Sunday Speakers' Service/Forum (2nd floor)
12:30pm Luncheon (2nd floor)

*************

NEXT WEEK'S COMMUNITY CHURCH FORUM (3/24)

Liberation Seder

*************

LUNCH ON SUNDAYS, 12:30PM

On Sunday after our morning programs, we have lunch with one another,
prepared by our cook Luis Alonso Guzman. Enjoy a delicious lunch with
friends! A small contribution is requested to help cover lunch expenses.

*************

DIRECTIONS/PARKING

The Community Church is located at 565 Boylston Street in Copley Square,
between Dartmouth and Clarendon Streets.

Parking is available on Sunday mornings at the Back Bay Garage (entrances on
Clarendon Street or St. James Ave.). We can provide a sticker to affix to
your parking receipt, and you will be charged $5.00 for 3 hours of parking.

By public transportation, take the Green line to Copley or take the Orange
line to Back Bay station. Community Church is a 2-minute walk from either
station.

*************

A PEACE AND JUSTICE CONGREGATION SINCE 1920

The Community Church of Boston is a free community united for the study and
practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical ideals to
individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to all forms of
social and economic life.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US

Linda Jenkins, Congregational Director
Community Church of Boston