[act-ma] 4/7 VICTORIA BRITTAIN - "Shadow Lives: The Forgotten Women of the War on Terror"

Commchurch.org info at commchurch.org
Tue Apr 2 11:00:25 PDT 2013

THE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON
SUNDAY SPEAKERS FORUM presents...

Sunday, April 7, 2013
11:00am

VICTORIA BRITTAIN
"Shadow Lives: The Forgotten Women of the War on Terror"

This forum will highlight some individual women in the UK and how the war on
terror has affected them as their husbands, sons and fathers have been
imprisoned without trial in the UK. We will also discuss the cases of some
daughters in the US and how they have managed very difficult circumstances
after their fathers or brothers have been sentenced to extremely long
periods in SuperMax prisons. These stories provide an important look at the
historical context of the war on terror.

Victoria Brittain has lived and worked as a journalist in Washington DC,
Saigon, Algiers, Nairobi, and worked extensively in many African and Middle
Eastern countries. She worked at The Guardian (UK) for 20 years, finally as
Associate Foreign Editor. She writes for a number of French and US
publications, and has written a number of books and two plays, on Africa
and, in the last 10 years on the war on terror. She is also on the Council
of the Institute of Race Relations in London.

Music by Meg Rayne

Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St. (Copley Square)
www.communitychurchofboston.org

*************

JOIN US ON SUNDAYS

11:00am Sunday Speakers' Service/Forum (2nd floor)
12:30pm Luncheon (2nd floor)

*************

NEXT WEEK'S COMMUNITY CHURCH FORUM (4/14)

COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON'S ANNUAL RETREAT
Francis Cabot Lowell Mill (Waltham, MA)

*************

LUNCH ON SUNDAYS, 12:30PM

On Sunday after our morning programs, we have lunch with one another,
prepared by our cook Luis Alonso Guzman. Enjoy a delicious lunch with
friends! A small contribution is requested to help cover lunch expenses.

*************

DIRECTIONS/PARKING

The Community Church is located at 565 Boylston Street in Copley Square,
between Dartmouth and Clarendon Streets.

Parking is available on Sunday mornings at the Back Bay Garage (entrances on
Clarendon Street or St. James Ave.). We can provide a discount coupon and
you will be charged $5.00 for 3 hours of parking.

By public transportation, take the Green line to Copley or take the Orange
line to Back Bay station. Community Church is a 2-minute walk from either
station.

*************

A PEACE AND JUSTICE CONGREGATION SINCE 1920

The Community Church of Boston is a free community united for the study and
practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical ideals to
individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to all forms of
social and economic life.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US

Linda Jenkins, Congregational Director
Community Church of Boston