[act-ma] ACTION: 4/8 - 4/9: Demand Progress: CFAA has got to go!

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Fri Apr 5 16:21:38 PDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------

We need to beat back a bad proposal to expand the Computer Fraud and
Abuse Act (CFAA) -- in a hurry.  So we're asking Demand Progress members
and the broader Internet Defense League to snap into action next week,
especially Monday and Tuesday (April 8th and 9th.)

*1) You can read more and grab code for our embeddable contact-Congress
widgets by clicking here: www.FixTheCFAA.com
<http://act.demandprogress.org/go/908?t=1&akid=2096.1649461.mZjxpy>*
We'd ask you to post them to your site to help let your visitors know
about this threat, and to spur them to get involved.  You'll be joining
*Fight for the Future, Demand Progress, EFF, Boing Boing, Reddit*, and
other great groups and sites as we stand together against this awful
proposal.
*2) You can use these links to ask your friends to take part:*
*
*
[fb] 	If you're already on *Facebook*, click here to share with your
friends.
<http://act.demandprogress.org/go/909?t=2&akid=2096.1649461.mZjxpy>
[fb] 	If you're already on *Twitter*, click here to tweet about the
campaign: Tweet
<http://act.demandprogress.org/go/910?t=3&akid=2096.1649461.mZjxpy>

As many of you probably know, our friend (and friend to many of you)
*Aaron Swartz* committed suicide earlier this year, while he was being
prosecuted for downloading too many academic articles from the JSTOR
cataloguing site.  Prosecutors were hanging four decades in prison over
his head!

Aaron was *charged under the CFAA,* a law that passed in the mid-80s,
before more than a handful of Americans even had personal computers --
let alone Internet access.

Yet law enforcement interprets this statute so broadly that it claims it
*criminalizes all sorts of mundane Internet use*: potentially even
breaking a website's fine print terms of service agreement.  Don't set
up a Myspace page for your cat.  Don't fudge your height on a dating
site.  Don't share your Facebook password with anybody, ever. *You could
be exposed to prosecution for a federal crime.*

We've been pushing to change this, and have made some progress: Reps and
Senators are pulling together a proposal called "Aaron's Law".

But... then last week members of the House Judiciary Committee floated
an audacious proposal that would actually *expand and harshen certain
parts of the CFAA*.  Think of it as the opposite of Aaron's Law.  And
we're hearing that it could come up for a vote as soon as next week.
**
*
*
*We need your helping mobilizing your visitors as we strive to beat back
this awful proposal and to build momentum for Aaron's Law.*
<http://act.demandprogress.org/go/908?t=4&akid=2096.1649461.mZjxpy>*
<http://act.demandprogress.org/go/909?t=5&akid=2096.1649461.mZjxpy>
[fb] 	If you're already on *Twitter*, click here to tweet about the
campaign: Tweet
<http://act.demandprogress.org/go/910?t=6&akid=2096.1649461.mZjxpy>

Reforming the CFAA is a real chance for the US Congress to make laws
governing the Internet better and fairer.  And it's a chance for the
coalition that came together around SOPA to actually pass positive
reform. *If all of us take action next week*, it won't just kill a bad
bill, it will help us build real momentum to passing positive change in
the wake of Aaron's death.
Thanks,
Demand Progress
Paid for by Demand Progress (DemandProgress.org
<http://demandprogress.org/?akid=2096.1649461.mZjxpy>) and not
authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Contributions are
not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

*One last thing -- Demand Progress's small, dedicated, under-paid staff
relies on the generosity of members like you to support our work. Will
you click here to chip in $5 or $10?
<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=info@demandprogress.org&lc=US&item_name=Donate%20to%20Demand%20Progress&no_note=1&no_shipping=1&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted>
Or you can become a Demand Progress monthly sustainer by clicking here.
<http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/dp_sustainer/?recurring=1&akid=2096.1649461.mZjxpy>
Thank you!*