[act-ma] Fri 5/17 and Sat 5/18: In Commemoration of the Nakba, Palestinian Play Premiere

Habash, Lana Lana.Habash at bmc.org
Wed May 8 20:30:00 PDT 2013

In commemoration of the

65th Anniversary of the Nakba in Palestine

the Let's Go There Collective

presents

the premiere of

Ramani Il Hawa: The Wind of (Love)

on Fri May 17@ 7:30 PM and Sat May 18@  7:30 PM
at the Green Street Studios, 185 Green St
Central Square, Cambridge, MA

Starring: Dara Bayer, Myriam Ortiz, and Sarah Bayer
Written and directed by Lana Habash

Ramani Il Hawa is a series of monologues and short scenes based on the true stories of men, women,
and children living in Palestine and the Palestinian diaspora. The title comes from the words of a
Palestinian wedding song:

Yumma Ramani il hawa waghayarli ahwali.

“Mother, the wind (of love) swept me away and changed my life.”

Ramani, in this case, literally means "to be hit by arrows and the force floors you.”

**Tickets can be reserved by going to

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10jGcf9NR-ukOKQa6iFGJA_HOt5HaMbe7TnQDsQylT3A/viewform?pli=1

or by e-mailing letsgotherecollective at gmail.com

Please note:
*Reserved tickets must be picked up at door by 7:15 PM the night of the show.
*Some of the content of the play may not be appropriate for children under 12.

***

A Word on the Let's Go There Collective

"Don't even go there."

Originating in 2009 as a writers/artists group of women of color and their allies, the Let's Go There Collective expanded into the area of theater in 2012. We are women from Palestine, the African Diaspora, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Haiti, Sicily, and Iraq who have decided that telling the stories of our people, of our struggle for liberation and our resistance, is central to our humanity and consequently our art.

We believe that art (in this case theater) belongs to all of us and exists as a means of communicating the beauty and pain of our lives, and at the same time what we need to know and do collectively as we engage in struggle day to day.

We believe that artistic exploration, in the theater, on the written page, in music, or on the canvas, should be accessible to everyone including folks working tough schedules, organizers, moms, teachers, youth, our elders-- folks with big life commitments.

We believe that art, in and of itself, is not an end, but part of the journey of struggle. It is and should be part of our daily lives. It should educate and inspire. Perhaps most importantly, it should be a leaping off point for collective exploration, discussion, and ultimately action.

With this in mind, we invite you to join us not only for a "theatrical experience", but to engage/question/discuss/organize(!) after each of our shows.

Let's go there!

This electronic transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify me immediately as use of this information is strictly prohibited.