[act-ma] Action Alert: Be heard at upcoming GMO labeling hearings in MA! June 3 and 11

Martin Dagoberto masscritical.gmos at gmail.com
Wed May 29 08:54:05 PDT 2013

On June 3rd and 11th, safe food advocates across the Commonwealth will have
an opportunity to address their legislators in support of mandatory
labeling of genetically engineered foods (GMOs).  State legislators are
considering five GMO labeling bills. These public hearings come weeks
after two neighboring states (VT and CT) each advanced GMO labeling
legislation farther than anywhere else in the country, and days after
hundreds of Bay Staters in 5 cities participated in a global March Against
Monsanto (and FOR labeling of GMOs). Massachusetts now has a chance to help
lead the country toward a safe and democratic food system, but we need your
help!

*Want to know if your food is GMO?*

*3 ways to make your voice heard:*

*#1.* * Attend one (or both!) of these public hearings!* June 3rd in
Spencer and June 11th in Boston. (details below) Seeing a crowd of
supporters will have an impact. Spread the word in person and on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/events/527361627325700/>
/Twitter!

*#2.*  *Submit Testimony! <http://bit.ly/17wZPRX> MA Right to Know
GMOs *is forming
panels of experts, consumers and concerned individuals.  We are also
collecting written testimony to print and submit.  Please sign up or submit
testimony using this form:  http://bit.ly/17wZPRX

*#3. Call your State Representatives* and let them know that you support
GMO labeling. <http://marighttoknow.com/home/why-label-gmos/>  This is such
an important way to make your (actual) voice heard!

Get your representatives phone number, here:
http://www.malegislature.gov/people/findmylegislator

*These public hearings are an important part of the legislative process,
and they need to hear from you!  We invite you to join us at either or both
hearings to declare your right to know.  Also, we are looking for help
finding "big names" and "unlikely proponents" that will  help get the
attention of the committee members. If you have any ideas for someone who
can help put some more weight behind these bills, please contact us
directly at MAR2KGMOs at gmail.com*

**

*Massachusetts GMO Labeling Bills Hearings
*

*June 3, 2013, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM *
*David Prouty High School * *302 Main Street Spencer, MA 01562 Get
Directions <http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=302%20Main%20Street%20,%20Spencer,%20MA%2001562%20(David%20Prouty%20High%20School)>
*
*Details: http://1.usa.gov/17MDAHR*
*Please share the Facebook event:*
https://www.facebook.com/events/128204707376804/

*June 11, 2013, 10:00 AM*
*MA State House, Room A-1*
*details: http://1.usa.gov/12Cjj23*
*Please share the Facebook event:*
https://www.facebook.com/events/527361627325700/

*Sign up to submit testimony in person or in writing! *
http://bit.ly/17wZPRX

*Why label GMOs?*

Here a few reasons:

Most people have no idea: GMOs were quietly introduced into our food supply
in the 90′s, and the FDA requires no safety testing or labeling, (even
though FDA scientists stated concerns about potential dangers.)

People NEED to know: GMOs have not been proven safe, and in fact, a growing
body of independent peer-reviewed studies have linked these foods
to allergies, immune problems, infertility and cancers.

No Cost to Consumers or Food Producers:  Companies change their labeling
all the time, and dozens of other countries have already introduced GMO
labeling without increasing food costs.

GMO crops easily contaminate non-GMO crops, threatening the consumer’s
ability to choose non-GMO foods.

Superweeds and pests have become resistant to GMO-affiliated herbicides and
toxic pesticide use has increased

The free market is supposed to provide consumers with accurate information
about products so we can make informed choices.

*Massachusetts Right to Know GMOs is a statewide network of safe food
advocates working together to reach a **critical mass** of awareness and
support for mandatory labeling of Genetically Modified (GM) foods. We are
educating our communities about the health and environmental risks
associated with GM foods and making our voices heard:*

*“We have a right to know what’s in our food!”*
*For more info, please visit MArighttoknow.org and like us on Facebook: *
*MA Right to Know GMOs*

--
Martin Dagoberto
MA Right to Know GMOs, Facilitator

*

Massachusetts Right to Know GMOs is a statewide network of safe food
advocates working together to reach a critical mass of awareness and
support for legislation mandating adequate labeling of Genetically Modified
(GM) foods in Massachusetts. *
MARightToKnow.org <http://www.marighttoknow.org/>
facebook.com/MARightToKnowGMOs <https://www.facebook.com/MARightToKnowGMOs>