[act-ma] 6/15 Peña featuring ReynaLiz Herrera

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Thu Jun 13 07:27:36 PDT 2013

Join us for a night of folklore, storytelling, arte y amor, the poetry
of struggle bringing histories to life, and life to our circles of song.

      featuring ReynaLiz Herrera <http://youtu.be/RkeZxzNII-w>

*Saturday, June 15, 2013, 6:30 to 10:30 p.m.

@Upstairs at TecsChange *, 46 Bennington St., East Boston, MA
<http://tecschange.org/home/node/3>.
Just blocks from the Maverick & Airport stops on the Blue Line.
(Directions below,)

A Peña is a gathering of musicians, artists, and friends who come to
share their work and to play together. Peñas take historical root from
Chilean social gatherings during the 60s and early 70s that expressed
the spirit of creativity and resistance in melody, poems, and artwork
under a brutally repressive regime. Though they exist throughout the
Spanish-speaking world, they came into fashion in Latin America with the
Nueva Trova musical movement that ran in tandem with the revolutions of
the day. In some places the term 'tertulia' is used, where in English we
don't have an equivalent word. (Open Mic implies a certain formality and
performance that doesn't quite fit this atmosphere.)
Peñas are encouraged to bring your own stories, songs, poems, or artwork
to share. Please bring your songs, bring your verse, in whatever
language or on whatever instrument.

Each peña hosted by e5 will be dedicated to the great tradition of
someone who fought with the instrument of song and the spirit that
defied borders. Please accompany us at our events with live music and
ample nylon-string guitars.

Light Snacks and Refreshments Provided
(no alcohol on premises)

Wheelchair Accessible

$5 suggested donation. No one turned away!
www.encuentro5.org
<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.encuentro5.org&h=JAQHRl20d&s=1>

Directions from both tunnels & by T:
http://tecschange.org/classic/directions.html