[act-ma] Fwd: FW: 7/13 e5's " Indepenence Peña " in East Boston (Saturday, July 13, 6:30 p.m.)

alisa alisa.wind at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 20:15:58 PDT 2013

Dear friends,

Our re-launched Peña series continues this July celebrating the spirit of
true Independence within our struggles!
Come join Estefania Narvaez, Manuel Santos, Carlos Suarez  and a host of
other musicians, poets and creators!

*Saturday, July 13, 2013, 6:30 p.m. Hosted @ TecsChange*
46 Bennington Street, East Boston, MA 02128 [directions -
http://tecschange.org/home/node/3]
Suggested donation: $5 (no one turned away for lack of funds)

*What is a Peña?*

It is a gathering of musicians, artists, and friends who come to share
their work and to play together. Peñas have their historical roots in
Chilean gatherings during the 60s and early 70s that expressed the spirit
of creativity and resistance in melody, poems, and artwork. Derived from
the word peñi (brother) in the Mapundungun language of the indigenous
Mapuche people. The Mapuche would use the word "peñalolén" to refer to a
"gathering among siblings."

Later these took place under and against a brutally repressive regime.
Though they exist throughout the Spanish-speaking world, they came into
fashion in Latin America with the Nueva Trova musical movement that ran in
tandem with the revolutions of the day. In some places the term 'tertulia'
is used, where in English we don't have an equivalent word. (Open Mic
implies a certain formality and performance that doesn't quite fit this
atmosphere.)

Peñer at s are encouraged to bring your own stories, songs, poems, or artwork
to share. Please bring your songs, bring your verse, in whatever language
or on whatever instrument.

Each peña hosted by e5 will be dedicated to the great tradition of someone
who fought with the instrument of song and the spirit that defied borders.
Please accompany us at our events with live music and ample nylon-string
guitars.

RSVP for the event on Facebook and invite your friends! Visit our website -
http://www.encuentro5.org or Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/encuentro5to invite friends and learn more
about our activities.