[act-ma] Saturday: De-Paving Party on Gay Head Street, JP

Loie Hayes loie.hayes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 19:35:51 PDT 2013

Please come out this Saturday for Boston's first ever De-Paving Party (or
at least the first one we've heard of)! We will be pulling up asphalt from
two yards in this working-class, multi-ethnic neighborhood near Stop and
Stop in the Hyde Square/Jackson Square area.  From parking lots to
paradise, we will help the Gay Head Green Block neighbors make their block
more resilient in the face of climate change. Make room for gardens, trees,
and recreation space. Help reduce urban heat island effect and storm water
flooding, and have fun too!

Saturday, July 13, 9am till 4pm
13 Gay Head Street, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

We'll have lunch in a neighbor's yard, so feel free to come hungry or bring
a dish to share. Kids are welcome to play in a neighbor's yard or if
they're old enough to be safe, they can work with a responsible adult
partner.

Please RSVP so we know how many volunteers are coming:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ktt6lY9SXzjrncyOtGusd4j93EvdLdG5UM_DanbnS4g/viewform
or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/120648734812524/
or by email or phone: BostonClimateAction at gmail.com or 857-544-6846.

<http://somerville.patch.com/articles/residents-rip-up-18000-pounds-of-asphalt#video-2291440>

Join the party by signing up for one or more roles:
* Hands-on work:
- Use a sledgehammer and pick axe to pry up the asphalt
- Haul chunks of asphalt in a wheelbarrow to the dumpster
* Bring tasty food
* Take photos or video
* Help clean-up
We've got experienced De-Pavers coming from Someville Climate Action. Check
out the time-lapse video of a previous de-paving event there:
http://somerville.patch.com/articles/residents-rip-up-18000-pounds-of-asphalt#video-2291440

--
Loie Hayes
617-278-1885