[act-ma] Remembering Hiroshima: August 6, Cambridge

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Fri Jul 26 11:36:53 PDT 2013

Remembering Hiroshima: August 6, Cambridge

Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 3:30 pm - Cambridge

  <http://justicewithpeace.org/files/u415/Hiroshima-Sunflower.png> 68 years
later, it's time!
President Obama, let's join international efforts to eliminate the danger of
nuclear weapons!

Memorial Procession, Music, Talks, and Film

3:30 Gather at Cambridge City Hall, 795 Mass. Ave. Japanese dancers
(invited), antiwar singer Pat Scanlon and music, Welcome by Mayor of
Cambridge, Reading of Proclamation.

4:15 Memorial Procession down Mass. Ave. via Harvard Sq. to Brattle Sq., led
by the drummers of The New England Peace Pagoda.

4:45 Memorial speakers, music and meditation at Brattle Square. Brian Corr,
Peace Commissioner of Cambridge; Ira Helfand, North American Vice-President,
International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War; Pat Scanlon.

7:00 Film "Hibakusha, Our Life To Live" at Brattle Theater, followed by a
panel discussion with filmmaker David Rothauser and professor Akihiko
Kimijima.

This day reminds us that only through remembrance and action can we build a
non-violent world free of the atrocities of nuclear weapons.

  _____

Sponsored by Massachusetts Peace Action, New England Peace Pagoda, the City
of Cambridge, Harvard Square Business Association, Memory Productions,
Women's International League for Peace and Freedom-Boston, American Friends
Service Committee, Veterans for Peace-Smedley D Butler Brigade, Newton
Dialogues on Peace & War, Mass. Global Action/encuentro 5, and United for
Justice with Peace

"The unleashed power of the atom has changed everything save our modes of
thinking, and thus we drift toward unparalleled catastrophe. We shall
require a substantially new way of thinking if mankind is to survive." -
Albert Einstein, 1946

"So long as nuclear weapons exist, we are not truly safe." - President
Barack Obama, 2013

The world has about 17,000 nuclear weapons. The U.S. has about 8,000, but
intends to spend more than $200 billion, to develop "enhanced" nuclear
warheads, new missiles, new bombers, new submarines, and new warhead
manufacturing facilities. We disagree-- do you?  Sign the petition!
<http://org.salsalabs.com/o/161/c/3952/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_K
EY=13855>

 <http://justicewithpeace.org/>

United for Justice with Peace <http://justicewithpeace.org/>  is a coalition
of peace and justice organizations and community peace groups in the Greater
Boston region. The UJP Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global
peace through social and economic justice.

 <http://justicewithpeace.org/donate>

Help us continue to do this critical work! Make a donation to UJP today.
<http://justicewithpeace.org/donate>

info at justicewithpeace.org

617-383-4857

www.justicewithpeace.org <http://www.justicewithpeace.org/>