[act-ma] August 4th: Annual Hiroshima/Nagasaki Commemoration on George's Island & upcoming events at CCB!

Commchurch.org info at commchurch.org
Mon Jul 29 12:03:09 PDT 2013

ANNUAL HIROSHIMA/NAGASAKI COMMEMORATION ON GEORGE'S ISLAND

Sunday, August 4th
George's Island (meet at Long Warf North Pier at 10:30am)

The Community Church of Boston will hold our annual Hiroshima/Nagasaki
Commemoration on George's Island. People wishing to attend should gather
together at the Long Wharf North Pier (right next to Columbus Park) at
10:30am to get on the 11:00am ferry to George's Island.

Tickets can be purchased before hand or at the Pier. Everyone is encouraged
to bring food to share and other picnic related things. We will have a short
service together while we eat and share time with one another, living for a
world free of nuclear weapons!

Ferry Tickets are:

#  Adult: $14
# Senior (65+): $10
# Child (ages 3-11): $8
# Children under 3 yrs: Free

Visit www.bostonharborislands.com to learn more about the different islands.

*************

The Community Church of Boston -- along with Massachusetts Peace Action, New
England Peace Pagoda, the City of Cambridge, Memory Productions,
WILPF-Boston, AFSC, Veterans for Peace-Smedley D Butler Brigade, Newton
Dialogues on Peace & War, Mass Global Action/encuentro 5, United for Justice
with Peace and other social justice groups -- is also a co-sponsor for:

REMEMBERING HIROSHIMA
68 years later, it's time: President Obama, let's join international efforts
to eliminate the danger of nuclear weapons!

Tuesday, August 6th
Cambridge City Hall to Brattle Square

Memorial Procession, Music, Talks, and Film:

3:30pm - Gather at Cambridge City Hall, 795 Mass. Ave. Japanese dancers
(invited), antiwar singer Pat Scanlon and music, Welcome by Mayor of
Cambridge, Reading of Proclamation.

4:15pm - Memorial Procession down Mass. Ave. via Harvard Sq. to Brattle Sq.,
led by the drummers of The New England Peace Pagoda.

4:45pm - Memorial speakers, music and meditation at Brattle Square. Brian
Corr, Peace Commissioner of Cambridge; Ira Helfand, North American
Vice-President, International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War;
Pat Scanlon.

7:00pm - Film "Hibakusha, Our Life To Live" at Brattle Theater, followed by
a panel discussion with filmmaker David Rothauser and professor Akihiko
Kimijima.

This day reminds us that only through remembrance and action can we build a
non-violent world free of the atrocities of nuclear weapons.

*************

SUMMER SUNDAY POTLUCK GATHERINGS
at the Community Church of Boston

August 11 - September 1, 2013
12:00pm

Please join us each Sunday this summer for Pot Luck Brunches, political
conversation, action planning and getting to know each other. All are
Welcome!

Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St. (Copley Square)
www.communitychurchofboston.org

*************

ANNUAL COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON PICNIC

Saturday, August 17th
2:00pm
at the home of Lenny Shames (Watertown, MA)

This year's annual CCB picnic will take place at the home of Lenny Shames,
81 Nyack St. Watertown. Please bring food and refreshments to share!
Directions by car: From Watertown Square - go west on Main St. (toward
Waltham) about 8 or 9 blocks, to Lexington St. Turn right, go 6 blocks, to
Philip Darch Rd. Turn left, go 6 blocks to Nyack St. (corner house).

Directions by the T: Kenmore bus (#57), to Watertown Square. Or Harvard
Square, #73 bus to the end (Waverly Square).

*************

A PEACE AND JUSTICE CONGREGATION SINCE 1920

The Community Church of Boston is a free community united for the study and
practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical ideals to
individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to all forms of
social and economic life.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US

Linda Jenkins, Congregational Director
Community Church of Boston