[act-ma] Thursday 9/19: "Hearts and Minds" - Free UPandOUT film screening

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Thu Sep 12 11:54:30 PDT 2013

*<http://rule19.org/download-film/film-130919-Hearts%20and%20Minds.pdf>Hearts
and Minds*

Showing Thursday, September 19, in Cambridge [please download &
distribute flyer
<http://rule19.org/download-film/film-130919-Hearts%20and%20Minds.pdf>]

The term /hearts and minds/ was used by the US as a method to bring a
subjugated population on your side.

Pieced together from various interviews with military brass, discharged
soldiers and Vietnamese civilians, newsreel presidential addresses and
on-the-ground camera work, */Hearts and Minds/* is THE documentary on
the Vietnam War. Released in 1974, less than a year before the war would
end, the film pulled all the disparate feelings towards the conflict
that had been building up in the American consciousness for two decades
and laid everything out in a vicious and visceral knockout punch aimed
squarely at anyone who might still be on the fence. In fact, the movie
was so controversial, that it's original release was impeded and
litigated against until all it received was a one week run in Los
Angeles. And the Academy Award for Best Documentary. Presenter Frank
Sinatra denounced it.

While the film does use interviews with people on both sides of the
famously divisive war's opinion gulf, it's impossible to ignore it's
underlying message when you see a sobbing relative of a dead Vietnamese
soldier throwing herself onto his coffin while then-Army Chief of Staff
Gen. William Westmoreland intones, "The Oriental doesn't put the same
high price on life as does the Westerner. Life is plentiful. Life is
cheap in the Orient." */Hearts and Minds/* is utterly unflinching in
it's depiction of one of our worst military disasters.

The film gives voice to the Vietnamese people themselves - how the war
has affected them, and their reasons why they fight the United States
and other imperialist powers, while showing the basic humanity of the
people that US propaganda tried to dismiss.

Making appearances, among many others:

*Col. George S Patton III*, at a memorial service in Vietnam for some
fallen American soldiers: "/They're a bloody good bunch of killers/.
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071604/>"
["/No Hollywood dramatization could do justice to Patton's cheerful
viciousness/" ~Tom Bissell, NYT]

*Bobby Muller,* veteran who later founded the Vietnam Veterans of America

*Randy Floyd*, veteran: "/We've all tried very hard to escape what we
have learned in Vietnam. I think Americans have worked extremely hard
not to see the criminality that their officials and their policy makers
exhibited/."

*George Coker*, vet: "/If it wasn't for the people, it [Viet Nam]
//would be very pretty/"

*Daniel Ellsberg*: "/We weren't on the wrong side. We WERE the wrong side./"

*http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/Intheyearofthepig.jpg/220px-Intheyearofthepig.jpgNOTE:
We will make available the film _/In the Year of the Pig/_**, another
excellent documentary about the US war on Vietnam; it explains how the
Vietnamese stopped the war and how important Ho Chi Minh was to his
people, both north /and /south. Re his success, an interviewee explains
that he encouraged all Vietnamese to be armed - surely not something a
leader would do if he didn't have popular support and wasn't afraid of
his own people. *

"/There are at least two reasons to watch "Hearts and Minds. ...How
about this for starters? It''s one of the best documentaries ever made,
a superb film about the thoughts and feelings of the era, the whole
festering, spirited animus of it. And then there's the disquieting
timeliness. ...Once again, there is war, a counterculture, hawks and
doves, and even this: a questionable premise."
/~Desson Thomas, Washington Post

"/Not only the best documentary I have ever seen, it may be the best
movie ever/"
~Michael Moore

"/One of the most heartbreaking and powerful movies ever to grace the
screen. ... years on from when it was first shown, it has lost none of
its power and seems as poignant today as it must have then./"
~ Andy McKeague, movie critic

"/I helped discover dioxin, arguably the most toxic chemical ever found.
...It was part of the herbicide 2,4,5-T, or Agent Orange, then being
used to defoliate forests in the Vietnam War./"
~ T.Colin Campbell, American biochemist

"/No, I'm not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn
another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave
masters of the darker people the world over./"
~ Muhammed Ali

*When/where*
doors open 6:40; film starts promptly 7pm
243 Broadway, Cambridge - corner of Broadway and Windsor,
entrance on Windsor
rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos>

Please join us for a stimulating night out; bring your friends!
*free film & free door prizes
****[donations are encouraged]
*feel free to bring your own snacks and soft drinks - no alcohol allowed
"/You can't legislate good will - that comes through education/." ~
Malcolm X

*UPandOUT film series* - see rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos>

Why should YOU care? It's YOUR money that pays for US/Israeli wars - on
Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Palestine, Libya. Syria, Iran, So America, etc
etc - for billionaire bailouts, for ever more ubiquitous US prisons, for
the loss of liberty and civil rights...