[act-ma] SAT 9/21 8 PM -- PICKET FOR STRIKING INSOMNIA COOKIES WORKERS! HARVARD SQ

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 14:05:05 PDT 2013

Join members of the Industrial Workers of the World, the Insomnia Workers
Union, & Harvard's Student Labor Action Movement as we picket Insomnia
Cookies in support of striking employees! Bakers at Insomnia make just
$9/hr, double as cashiers & are so busy they sometimes don't even get
legally-required breaks. Super-exploited "drivers" use their own bikes,
endure competitive pressure to make deliveries @ unsafe speeds and make
just $5/hr plus tips (meanwhile the company, with 30 locations, charges
$2.75 for each "jumbo deluxe" cookie).  At times "drivers" work until 3:15
a.m. without breaks! Do you support a union for the Insomnia Cookies
workers? Come to our picket and make your voice heard! We'll gather
Saturday starting at 8 pm at 65 Mt Auburn Street Cambridge. The Facebook
event is here <https://www.facebook.com/events/1416262478601137/>.

AN INJURY TO ONE IS AN INJURY TO ALL!

In August, four employees were terminated after going on strike to protest
their miserable pay and working conditions. Please donate to the Insomnia
Workers Union Strike Fund: https://www.wepay.com/donations/1952435343.

Read more about the campaign for justice and union representation at
Insomnia Cookies here <http://openmediaboston.org/node/2735>.