[act-ma] 10/1: Intro to Nonviolent Communication (SoJust professional development opportunity)

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 09:39:45 PDT 2013

**Yes this is on a Tuesday, next month we'll be back to our 1st Monday of
the month schedule**

<http://www.sojust.org/events/34899092/#>

Are you tired of conversations that involve aggravation, intimidation and
manipulation? Want to communicate in a way that fosters respect, peace and
connection? Join Socializing for Justice for a Skillshare introducing
Nonviolent Communication on Tuesday, October 1st from 6:00-8:30 PM. Learn
the basic principles of NVC and a specific communication method that you'll
be able to apply right away!

Fee: $10 advance/ $20 door is split with the trainers.

Limited space - register ahead of time: www.sojust.org

Credit cards accepted online. Cash only at the door.

Newcomers always welcomed!

*
*

*Speaking Peace - An Introduction to Nonviolent Communication*
Nonviolent Communication (NVC) is a way of communicating that strengthens
our ability to stay in touch with our humanity and get our needs met, even
under difficult circumstances. Instead of habitual responses, our words
become conscious responses based on a clear awareness of what we are
observing, feeling, and wanting. We are led to express ourselves with
honesty and clarity, while paying respectful and empathic attention to
others. Check out this brief intro video about NVC:
http://youtu.be/a3zSNxE37OM.

ABOUT OUR PRESENTERS

Gail Carroll has been offering Nonviolent Communication workshops and
trainings in the Boston area since 2006. She is a 2006 graduate of the
North American NVC Leadership Program administered by BayNVC.

Paul Merrill graduated from the NVC North American Leadership Training in
2005 and has taught NVC in Boston, New York City, Belgium and Poland. He is
a founding board member of Brooklyn NVC.

Gail and Paul both co-facilitated the NVC Mediate Your Life 2012 East Coast
immersion program with John Kinyon and Ike Lasater, and are alumna of that
program. This summer, along with 3 other NVC trainers, they co facilitated
the 10th annual New York NVC Intensive - a highly respected week long
retreat offering learning and immersion in NVC.

SCHEDULE

6:00-6:30 Socializing -  bring your own dinner

6:30-8:30 Training and Q&A

 *  DIRECTIONS<http://www.nonprofitcenterboston.org/site/c.ddKGIQNuEmG/b.1363373/k.5381/About_Us__Directions.htm>
(http://bit.ly/ieXreK) - The NonProfit Center is located one block from
South Station at 89 South Street. The Center is physically accessible
through the main lobby.

Socializing for Justice - www.sojust.org

Since 2006, we've been building this great sandbox where we can bring
progressives of all stripes together and try out new ideas in this
"Movement Moment". Spaces like this are crucial as we start to reframe and
build new visions for our movement(s).

SoJust hosts events that draw progressives of all stripes that share common
values but may work on different issues. We host monthly socials that allow
for the possibility of cross-issue connections and run a monthly Skillshare
Series, hosted by The NonProfit Center*, which increases our individual
capacity for movement building.

With over 2300 members and 7 years of creating a diverse cross-issue
community in Boston (160+ events!), Socializing for Justice is the best
place to find the great people, organizations and community you're looking
for while putting the SOCIAL back in social justice.

YES, WE MEAN YOU. We've got members of all ages, races, genders, sexual
orientations, levels of activism and professions. We hope you see someone
like yourself and meet someone you otherwise wouldn't have.

Want to know more about SoJust? Check out our  Frequently Asked
Questions<http://sojust.meetup.com/1/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3187615>and
 past
event photos <http://sojust.meetup.com/1/photos/>!