[act-ma] Cryptoparty on Mesh Networks: Sat. Sep 28th - 2-4pm @ SETC

Steve Revilak steve at srevilak.net
Tue Sep 24 19:40:40 PDT 2013

Join us for a Cryptoparty on Saturday September 28th, 2:00 - 4:00 pm,
at the South End Tech Center [1], 359 Columbus Avenue in Boston.
We'll focus on Mesh Networks [2] in general, and on CJDNS [3] in
particular.

Have you heard of a mesh network? Mother Jones [4] reports on a mesh
net in Athens:

     It's actually faster than the Net we pay for: Data travels through
     the mesh at no less than 14 megabits a second, and up to 150 Mbs a
     second, about 30 times faster than the commercial pipeline I get
     at home.  (They) can send messages, video chat, and trade huge
     files without ever appearing on the regular internet.  And it's a
     pretty big group of people: Their Athens Wireless Metropolitan
     Network has more than 1,000 members, from Athens proper to nearby
     islands.  Anyone can join for free by installing some equipment.
     "It's like a whole other web [...] [i]t's our network, but it's
     also a playground."

Imagine, no telecom bill, no NSA spying on your online activity.
Heck, don't just imagine it, do it!  What the Greeks have built out of
necessity, we can do to free ourselves of centralized monopolies.

Our afternoon of mesh networking will come with a special bonus -
we'll be joined by Caleb James DeLisle, the "CJD" in "CJDNS".  He'll
give a lecture called "The Security Challenges of Mesh Networking",
and help people get their hands dirty with the technology.

This is a free workshop, but contributions to the South End Tech
Center would be sincerely appreciated.  If you are interested in
participating, just show up; or, contact William Fleurant (@wfleurant,
<williamfleurant at comcast.net>) or Steve Revilak (@Purple_Bandanna,
<steve at srevilak.net>).  You can also signup at our Facebook event [5].
Hope to see you Saturday the 28th!

Can't make it on the 28th?  Don't worry, we're doing another
Cryptoparty at the Digital Media Conference [6], October 25-27th at
Lesley University.

Think we are too Boston centered?  So do we!  Find us a place outside
of greater Boston and we will be happy to schedule our next
Cryptoparty there.  Email us at info at masspirates.org if you're
interested.

Cheers,

Steve Revilak
Quartermaster, Massachusetts Pirate Party
Open Government, Open Innovation, Open Culture, and People First
http://masspirates.org / @masspirates

[1] http://www.tech-center-enlightentcity.tv/contactus.html

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_network

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cjdns