[act-ma] 10/13 JAMILA RAQUIB - "Nonviolent Struggle: The Real Power for Peace"

Commchurch.org info at commchurch.org
Tue Oct 8 11:54:38 PDT 2013

THE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON
SUNDAY SPEAKERS FORUM presents...

Sunday, October 13, 2013
11:00am

JAMILA RAQUIB
"Nonviolent Struggle: The Real Power for Peace"

Jamila Raqib will introduce participants to Dr. Gene Sharp's work on
strategic nonviolent struggle and its impact on social and political
movements worldwide. Jamila will speak about the operation of this powerful
technique of action, and how it is being used by groups in diverse conflicts
around the world to struggle against oppression and for greater freedom.

Jamila Raqib serves as the Executive Director of the Albert Einstein
Institution in Boston, MA. She works closely with Dr. Gene Sharp, this
year's AFSC nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize and the foremost scholar on
strategic nonviolent struggle. She is a Research Affiliate at the Center of
International Studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Music by Evan Greer

Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St. (Copley Square)
www.communitychurchofboston.org

*************

JOIN US ON SUNDAYS

11:00am Sunday Speakers' Service/Forum (2nd floor)
12:30pm Luncheon (2nd floor)

*************

NEXT WEEK'S COMMUNITY CHURCH FORUM (10/20)

JEFF PERRY
"Class Struggle and the Origin of Racial Slavery: The Invention of the White
Race"

*************

LUNCH ON SUNDAYS, 12:30PM

On Sunday after our morning programs, we have lunch with one another,
prepared by our cook Luis Alonso Guzman. Enjoy a delicious lunch with
friends! A small contribution is requested to help cover lunch expenses.

*************

DIRECTIONS/PARKING

The Community Church is located at 565 Boylston Street in Copley Square,
between Dartmouth and Clarendon Streets.

Parking is available on Sunday mornings at the Back Bay Garage (entrances on
Clarendon Street or St. James Ave.). We can provide a discount coupon and
you will be charged $5.00 for 3 hours of parking.

By public transportation, take the Green line to Copley or take the Orange
line to Back Bay station. Community Church is a 2-minute walk from either
station.

*************

A PEACE AND JUSTICE CONGREGATION SINCE 1920

The Community Church of Boston is a free community united for the study and
practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical ideals to
individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to all forms of
social and economic life.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US

Linda Jenkins, Congregational Director
Community Church of Boston