[act-ma] Crossing Boundaries: How Local Innovations in Immigrant Integration are Expanding our Notions of Democracy

Weinstock, Hannah Hannah_Weinstock at hks14.harvard.edu
Sun Apr 27 20:10:58 PDT 2014

Crossing Boundaries: How Local Innovations in Immigrant Integration are Expanding our Notions of Democracy

A Panel Discussion Featuring

Kamal Essaheb, Immigration Policy Attorney, National Immigration Law Center
Tricia Farley-Bouvier, Massachusetts State Representative (D-Pittsfield)
Kica Matos, Director of Immigrant Rights and Racial Justice, Center for Community Change
Carlos Saavedra, United We Dream
Quinton Mayne, Assistant Professor of Public Policy (Moderator)

Thursday, May 1, 4:10-5:30pm
Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation
124 Mt. Auburn St., Suite 200-North, Cambridge, MA

Co-sponsored with the HKS Progressive Caucus and Harvard Journal for Hispanic Policy.

About the Event
Immigration policy reform and paths to citizenship are hotly contested topics on the national stage. Yet the impact of immigration is most often experienced by our cities and towns. Communities across the country are on the frontlines dealing with important questions like how immigration challenges our notions of justice and equality.

This discussion will highlight trends and salient efforts by state and local governments to promote and support the integration of immigrant communities into civic and political life. Efforts across the nation include access to higher education, drivers licensing, identifications cards, law enforcement, and even voting. What has worked, what did not work, and what can we learn from each effort? Also, what have these efforts taught us about the nature and health of American democracy? Just how far should we extend citizenship, voice, representation, access, engagement, and our other democratic values and rights?

Hannah Weinstock

401-935-5363

Masters in Public Policy Candidate

Harvard Kennedy School