[act-ma] 5/5 Art of the Schmooze, 5/15 Connecting for Justice - Did you know SoJust is almost 8 years old?

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Mon May 5 05:47:38 PDT 2014

Hey fellow progressives,

Some of you have known about Socializing for Justice for awhile, but did
you know that we will be celebrating 8 years and 2500 members this
September?! Our press release below (please share!) will tell you a bit
more about why we got started and how we're building a cross-cultural,
cross-issue progressive community and network in Boston. If you haven't
checked us out yet - you shouldn't miss our next open house networking
event, *Connecting for Justice <http://www.sojust.org> on Thursday, May 15*.
Don't forget to RSVP at www.sojust.org.

Want to brush up on your schmooze skills before the big event? *I'm
offering Art of the Schmooze <http://www.sojust.org> tonight *(5/5) at The
NonProfit Center at 6pm. I will teach you how to avoid getting stuck in
conversations and some great ways to approach people at networking events. This
is part of SoJust's monthly ProfDev Series - where we offer professional
development trainings for just $10 in advance or $20 at the door (cash
only). Register online at www.sojust.org to reserve your spot.

Will you help spread the word about SoJust's May events?
​
Share on Facebook:
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153905754980029&set=gm.280812108765730&type=1>

Art of the Schmooze
graphic<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153905754980029&set=gm.280812108765730&type=1>

Connecting for Justice
graphic<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154089066425029&set=gm.1461696304066908&type=1>

Do you have a newsletter or host a listserve? Please share the following
press release.

For Justice,
Robbie

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Without Funding Grassroots Group Grows to 2450 Members

Building a cross-issue progressive community and network since 2006

On May 15th from 6-8:30PM, Socializing for Justice will be hosting one of
it's largest event of the year, Connecting for Justice (@SoJust Open
House), at Lir on Boylston. This event draws 120+ progressives of all
stripes and is a great way to get connected to Boston’s cross-issue
progressive community.  This is a welcoming space where all attendees,
diverse by age, race, gender, sexual orientation, newness to Boston, and
experience with activism, come together to “put the SOCIAL back in social
justice!”  Newcomers and long-time members will celebrate the remarkable
success of this member-driven, volunteer-run grassroots group.  Since 2006,
SoJust has grown to nearly 2500 members and hosted over 175 events.

Socializing for Justice is the brainchild of local community organizer,
fundraiser and event planner, Robbie Samuels. For the past decade, Robbie
has been a leader within Boston’s progressive community. He has been
recognized for his efforts - in 2011, his birthday, September 16, was
declared "Robbie Samuels Day" by the Boston City Council. In creating
SoJust, Robbie has combined fun, socializing and cross-issue mobilization
as never before.

The vision for SoJust comes from Robbie’s firsthand experience. He wanted
to address what he was repeatedly finding in his work – that individuals,
organizations, and campaigns stunted their effectiveness by focusing solely
on single-issue work.  He shares, “I believed we could get people
representing multiple progressive issues into a room, connect based on our
overlapping values and more effectively fight for social justice. We need
to be building a cross-issue progressive movement."

At Connecting for Justice, participants can experience the connecting power
of Socializing for Justice for themselves. There will be Action Stations to
link attendees with local organizations, “I’m Looking For” and “Ask Me
About” networking tags, a Jobs Board filled with openings from other social
change groups and an overflowing Literature Table. These features mirror
options on SoJust’s website, www.sojust.org, an online hub where social
justice events, job and volunteer opportunities from other social change
organizations are cross-posted on the Calendar and Message Board.

Get involved with Boston’s fastest-growing cross-issue progressive
community. Network with like-minded progressives and find the opportunities
you’ve been searching for. In the words of Robbie, ““If you think this
group MIGHT be for you – it is.”  Learn more and RSVP for Connecting for
Justice at <http://www.sojust.org/>www.sojust.org.

Socializing for Justice (SoJust)

Contact: Robbie Samuels, co-founder

Email: robbie at robbiesamuels.com