[act-ma] [UJP] The Immigration “Crisis": Has US Foreign Policy Created It? What Can We Do About It?

United for Justice with Peace info at justicewithpeace.org
Mon Oct 27 17:15:06 PDT 2014

UJP: The Immigration “Crisis": Has US Foreign Policy Created It? What Can
We Do About It? P,LI, BODY, DIV.event-when,DIV.event-where {font-family:
Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12px;} H1, H2, H3, H4 {text-align:
center;} H3 {font-size: 15px;} H2 {font-size: 16px;} H1 {font-size: 17px;}
IMG {border: 2px solid black;} LI {font-size: 13px;} .rtecenter {text-align:
center;} .rteindent1 {margin-left: 10pt; }
======== THE IMMIGRATION “CRISIS": HAS US FOREIGN POLICY CREATED IT? WHAT
         CAN WE DO ABOUT IT? =================================================

*When:* Tuesday, November 11, 2014, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
*Where: *encuentro 5 • 9 Hamilton Place • Park St T • Boston

*A forum cosponsored by United for Justice with Peace and Massachusetts Trust
Act Coalition*

 * What is the "border crisis" and how does it affect Massachusetts?
 * What are political and social consequences of terms such as  "illegal
   aliens"
 * How has US foreign policy contributed to the problem?
 * How are local communities confronting the criminalization of immigration
   polices, and helping recently arrived refugees?

*Prof. Aviva Chomsky *will provide historical context on the creation of the
so-called “illegal immigrant” in the US. She will discuss the effects
of military aid that the US poured into Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
in the 1980s that helped create a violently enforced inequality leading to
the problems today. Prof. Chomsky is coordinator of Latin American studies
at Salem State University and author of/ Undocumented: How Immigration
Become Illegal /(2014).

*Gabriel Camacho* is the Immigration Programs Coordinator for the American
Friends Service Committee. Locally the AFSC is on the Steering Committee of
the Massachusetts Trust Act Coalition. With the protracted death of
"immigration reform" at the federal level, and President Obama's repeated
delays on executive action, Gabe will speak on conditions facing newly
arrived refugee families and how local communities are confronting these
issues.

United for Justice with Peace

(617) 383-4857 [1]

www.justicewithpeace.org [2]

info at justicewithpeace.org [3]

United for Justice with Peace [4] is a coalition of peace and justice
organizations and community peace groups in the Greater Boston region. The
UJP Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global peace through social
and economic justice.

/Help us continue to do this critical work! Make a donation to UJP today.
[5]/

info at justicewithpeace.org [6]

617-383-4857 www.justicewithpeace.org [7] Upcoming Events:  Instilling Hope
in Gaza: The Legacy of Dr. Eyad el Sarraj [8] Tue Oct 28 7:00pm First Parish
in Cambridge Cambrige Dr. Mads Gilbert: Eyewitness in GAZA - What we saw &
what you can do [9] Fri Oct 31 3:00pm Harvard School of Public Health Boston
Mads Gilbert, Omar Barghouti, Sabeel Conference - Breaking a Generation: The
Israeli Occupation [10] Sat Nov 1 8:00am Christ Church Cambridge I Am [11]
Tue Nov 4 7:00pm SATV-Salem Salem A Foreign Policy for All [12] Sat Nov 8
9:00am MIT Campus - Room 34-101 Cambridge The Immigration Crisis: Has US
Foreign Policy Created It? What Can We Do About It? [13] Tue Nov 11 7:00pm
encuentro 5 Boston
/More Peace and Justice Events [14].    How to Submit Events [15]/

[1] %28617%29%20383-4857
[2] http://www.justicewithpeace.org/
[3] mailto:info at justicewithpeace.org
[4] http://justicewithpeace.org