[act-ma] Nov 8: Foreign Policy for All conference - Early Bird Registration Deadline

Cole Harrison cole at masspeaceaction.org
Tue Oct 28 11:01:12 PDT 2014

Dear friend,

<http://masspeaceaction.org/event/fp4a-conf>*Wednesday is the last day
to **register
for the Nov. 8 Foreign Policy for All conference*
<http://fp4a-conf.bpt.me/>* at
early-bird discount rates! *The 15% discount for early-birds expires Wednesday,
Oct. 29, so be sure to register before then at http://fp4a-conf.bpt.me/!

[image: BPT register Now] <http://fp4a-conf.bpt.me/>

*The **Foreign Policy for All working paper*
<http://masspeaceaction.org/fp4a-working-paper>* has been posted for
comment.* Check it out here <http://masspeaceaction.org/fp4a-working-paper> and
post your comments to help us prepare for the discussion.

Check out the *schedule of the day* <http://masspeaceaction.org/5872> and
the *workshop descriptions <http://masspeaceaction.org/5927>.  *

We look forward to seeing you at the conference!
------------------------------

A Foreign Policy for All*Re-Thinking U.S. Foreign Policy for the
21st Century*

*Saturday November 8, 2014, 9:00 am to 5:00 pmMIT Room 34-101 • 50 Vassar
St • Cambridge • Kendall T*
Confirmed Speakers[image: Noam Chomsky]

*Noam Chomsky*, MIT Institute Professor, author, *Profit Over People:
Neoliberalism and Global Order*
[image: Bill Fletcher]

*Bill Fletcher*, former president, Trans Africa Forum; author, *They’re
Bankrupting Us! And 20 other Myths about Unions*
[image: Phyllis Bennis]

*Phyllis Bennis*, director, New Internationalism Project, Institute for
Policy Studies
[image: Stephen Kinzer]

*Stephen Kinzer*, *Boston Globe* columnist;  author,*The Brothers: John
Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles, and Their Secret World War*
[image: Judith Leblanc]

*Judith Leblanc*, Field Director, Peace Action; former co-chair, UFPJ;
member of the Caddo Tribe of Oklahoma

*It’s time for a change.*

After years of war in Iraq and Afghanistan, with their terrible toll of
death and destruction, we are fighting again in the Middle East.  But
growing numbers of Americans are debating the values and goals of U.S.
foreign policy, with its heavy reliance on military intervention.  Why has
it been so unsuccessful? What is the appropriate role for our nation in
today’s world?  How does our investment in a gigantic, costly military
establishment affect our foreign policy decisions?

In this one-day conference, to be held immediately after the midterm
election, we will attempt to outline a more positive vision of U.S. global
engagement, one that addresses the actual security needs of people around
the world and that is consistent with the principles of peace and justice
for all.   We will also explore the actions needed to make the changes we
seek, to shift the discussion.

*Read the working paper!* The discussion will respond to A Foreign Policy
for All <http://masspeaceaction.org/fp4a-working-paper>, a working paper
written by a Boston area working group. Read more about the Foreign Policy
for All project <http://masspeaceaction.org/learn/foreign-policy-for-all>.

*[image: workshop] <http://masspeaceaction.org/5927>Schedule and Workshops:*
 the preliminary schedule of the day <http://masspeaceaction.org/5872> and
the workshop descriptions <http://masspeaceaction.org/5927>.  *Pre-registered
attendees will receive first choice of workshops.*

[image: BPT register Now] <http://fp4a-conf.bpt.me/>*Conference fee:* $25
before Oct. 29 for members of Massachusetts Peace Action (or other
sponsoring organizations), $30 for others, $35 at the door, $10 for
students and low income; free to MIT students. Fee includes morning coffee
and lunch. 15% discount for 5 or more people who register at the same time
before Oct. 29.

*Register* at fp4a-conf.bpt.me/, or mail check to Massachusetts Peace
Action, 11 Garden St, Cambridge, MA 02138; write "FP4A" on memo line. Or
call in your credit card number to the office. *Info:* 617 354 2169

*Host*: MIT Technology and Culture Forum

*Co-Sponsors:* Massachusetts Peace Action, American Friends Service
Committee, MIT Western Hemisphere Association, United for Justice with
Peace, Women's International League for Peace & Freedom - Boston Branch,
Massachusetts Global Action

*Workshop Topics (more details here <http://masspeaceaction.org/5927>):*

   - A Foreign Policy for All and the struggle against inequality and for
   social and economic justice
   - Media: Manufacturing of Consent
   - Nuclear disarmament
   - Changing U.S. foreign and military climate policy
   - United Nations and International Law
   - Nourishing Resistance: Food and Foreign Policy
   - War in the 21st Century: Drones, Space Weapons and Cyber Wars
   - A Foreign Policy for All in Eastern Europe, Ukraine, and Russia
   - A Foreign Policy for All in the Middle East
   - Dangers and Opportunities in the U.S.-China-Japan Triangle
   - Budgets, Values and Militarism
   - Peacebuilding
   - Building the Foreign Policy for All on Campus

[image: Cole Harrison]

For peace and justice,

Cole Harrison
Executive Director