[act-ma] YOU ARE INVITED TO HELP CLOSE PILGRIM NUCLEAR POWER PLANT NOW

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Thu Nov 13 13:01:27 PST 2014

PLEASE READ, COME, AND SHARE WIDELY. YOU ARE INVITED TO HELP CLOSE PILGRIM
NUCLEAR POWER PLANT NOW

Dear Friends,

On this journey we are on, no passengers: only crew and we need all hands on
deck now. On Behalf of Planet Earth is partnering now with Capedownwinders
http://capedownwinders.org/ and we are looking forward to working with other
Cape groups who have also been at this work for a very long time and who
want to work with us too, as we join their efforts to close Pilgrim Nuclear
Power Plant now. (Official name is Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station.)

There is no safe dose of radiation http://www.beyondnuclear.org/
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beyondnuclear.org%2Fstorage%
2Fradiation-and-health%2FNO_Safe_Dose1.pdf&h=yAQFMlUe6&enc=AZNDkSYFh16T3RaXV
4aAlC82L8KpBEX4V1TEMsbWD0-X_35fnrBaBWz58EQ8zT3zIpNQvnZFM0j6_inOhOh6HNRpmUWJj
v8ueVDIJjEKYwBOsCU9W01G-EgR1zyNNhIQlqVUTooas2USzteLXF3O--Kb3Ak7F-StmIFl0fznU
Ox5BA&s=1> ./radiation-./NO_Safe_Dose1.pdf

We are all downwinders.

Please, come to a meeting on Sunday, November 16 at the Democracy Center in
Cambridge, 7:30PM-9PM, 45 Mt. Auburn Street. Hear what we are planning to do
to close Pilgrim now and come with your ideas and bring friends. Members
from Capedownwinders will talk to us at the meeting. WE NEED YOU NOW. Here
are directions to the Democracy Center.
http://democracycenter.org/directions
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdemocracycenter.org%2Fdirections
&h=TAQFWjkEI&enc=AZPQjRFOF8-5UK00o5XTwGiMBExe-fhbfKXUnIL59gmo6U4VNUnLU6nlaNi
pVU_ApyF3CF03Nz4T2SgLGP40B67WlbUH3z4ss0G8_L1x_yWApxOweiFMvPQ8kDLHPdVBw6WUXnh
t7P-TJRZDtdsDSEhyzFqms-R3ZK8YDXW_h1iCmA&s=1>

Diane Turco, co-founder Capedownwinders will speak and present a slide show

Anna Baker, chair of Pilgrim Coalition http://www.pilgrimcoalition.org/ will
speak

We will be vigiling weekly at Senator Markey's office, located in the JFK
Building, 15 New Sudbury Street. We had a cordial meeting with an aide
recently to ask the Senator to make a public statement that we must close
Pilgrim now. And also to make a public statement about Fukushima. We are
planning to meet with the entire MA congressional delegation to ask them to
do the same. We have already contacted Rep. Michael Capuano's offce and Rep.
Joe Kennedy is next on our list. After that, we will meet with local state
representatives and senators.

Vigils will be weekly on Thursdays, 8:45AM-9:15AM. We will have signs and
bring your own. FIRST VIGIL IS THURSDAY, JANUARY 8, 2015 AT SENATOR MARKEY'S
OFFICE.

It is a short walk from Park Street Station to the JFK Bldg. office.
(Government Center T stop closed)Walk down Tremont Street, toward Government
Center and you are there. It is a high rise building, on the right hand side
as you walk down Tremont, right next to government plaza.

The Pilgrim nuclear reactor is the same design as Fukushima Diachii in
Japan, where a meltdown of three of the plant's six nuclear reactors
occurred on March 11, 2011. Very large amounts of radioactive material
continue to be released from the plant, including 300 tons of radioactive
water/day into the Pacific Ocean. Pilgrim is also a General Electric Mark 1
design, a boiling water reactor (BWR). One of every eight Mark 1 reactors
have exploded and released massive radioactive contamination into our
environment.There is no safe dose of radiation. There are over 75 thousand
people within 10 miles of Pilgrim and nearly five million within 50 miles.
Untitled_3.pdf Untitled_3.pdf http://capedownwinders.org/
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcapedownwinders.org%2Fwp-content
%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F02%2Fpilgrimradiusmap516w.jpg&h=iAQEDS70l&enc=AZNXEnsVGP
diOxVkhNnvCSGWAwc2p9xKiw3DJ-UdHG-LIY_k-eDl8Wi00vvlDZso-V4uToyO6Bd6hcADhQ5aQ9
SzHP2vav8cZfzCZefeeyAJYFttCX0g190Cwj0C-ev6jKIAv9i_WaExey0RZ86zvtxHjdoZM5zmAS
ruorjxhh0Y8w&s=1> ./20./02/pilgrimradiusmap516w.jpg

Nuclear waste contains some of the most toxic substances known to humankind
and there is no place to put it. It is said to last at least 200,000 years.
Is this the legacy we want to leave to our children, grandchildren, great
grandchildren and out way more than seven generations. Here is a fact sheet
by Beyond Nuclear, about nuclear power and children
http://www.beyondnuclear.org/
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beyondnuclear.org%2Fstorage%
2Fradiation-and-health%2Fradchild.pdf&h=GAQHzMrdI&enc=AZOOk5g76dfWKmxgjrQ-3H
x73zN36j-AHt1w0qVOg9lq1GyMaiyVbPCrthiy-Ey2NYOjpAnkxYxXieIr9SM-FDX7b_7OhBYuOb
AhJesjrnN2ae1wHqE8bk8lk5yTjytfuYL4ssD_SISQ1nwC8WsryatcVu1nVYTQ1ZOLJJ6zZAzcxQ
&s=1> ./radiation-and-h./radchild.pdf

Here is a fact sheet by Nuclear Information and Resource Service
(NIRS)"Nuclear Power and Climate: Why Nukes Can't Save the Planet"
http://www.nirs.org/factsheets/nukesclimatefact614.pdf
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nirs.org%2Ffactsheets%2Fnuke
sclimatefact614.pdf&h=0AQEmqyQo&enc=AZPcsEoWDYfHvwWfOaNI_vGCxzfnY45tJfjYsJRl
wD2_1XhxoCgbdiAxZMhSFNEu4xWiMx-S_YH0zm1I0OGO2hiAY0eKo7vJRwgbJcFYspSb6wsRZYvb
64l1-L2ISVmpRNx0SNZfiOC8NvYl7VgKCG0ir8yX95-VTPBng6C91glZ9w&s=1>

On April 7, 2014, Dr. Richard Clapp, Professor Emeritus of Boston
University, School of Public Health, wrote to Diane Turco, co-founder of
Cape Downwinders that "...when I was Director of the Massachusetts Cancer
Registry in the 1980's, we noted that the incidence of leukemia in Plymouth
and surrounding towns was significantly higher than the state average rate.
Although less frequent than leukemia, we also noted that thyroid cancer was
elevated above the state average in these same towns. These findings were
consistent with documented radiation releases from the plant in the early to
mid-1970s. As the result of these statistical excesses, a formal
case-control study of leukemia in Southeastern Massachusetts was conducted
by the Department of Public Healht....The results of this study, published
in a peer-reviewed scientific article in 1996, were that there was a nearly
four-fold excess of leukemia in those who lived or worked near the Pilgrim
plant. More recent cancer statistics form the Massachusetts Cancer Registry
indicate that there was a continuing excess of leukemia in Plymouth through
the years 2000-2009."

We will also be in communication with Massachusetts Peace Action about this
work.

Any questions and/or for more info contact sheilaruthparks AT comcast. net
or call 617 744 602zero

PLEASE SHARE WIDELY. THANK YOU

We are looking forward to seeing you there and working together to close
Pilgrim now,

For On Behalf of Planet Earth: Sheila Parks, Cornelia Sullivan, Jean Miller,
Joe Kebartas, Pat Ferrone, Eric Zinman, Paula Sharaga

Sheila Parks, Ed.D.
On Behalf of Planet Earth
Watertown, MA
sheilaruthparks at comcast.net <mailto:sheilaruthparks at comcast.net>