[act-ma] 2/22: A Briefing on the Federal Budget

Cole Harrison cole at budget4allmass.org
Tue Feb 10 14:33:03 PST 2015

A Briefing on the Federal Budget
*When:* Sunday, February 22, 2015, 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
*Where: *encuentro 5 • 9A Hamilton Place • across from Park Street T •
Boston

*Featuring:*

*Carolyn Federoff*, AFGE Local 3258 and Vice President, Mass. AFL-CIO

*Doug Hall*, Executive Director, National Priorities Project

*Michael Kane*, Executive Director Mass. Alliance of HUD Tenants

*Budget decisions made in Washington this year could have a profound impact
our quality of life for years to come.*

   - *What’s going on in these tense budget discussions between the
      President and Congress?*
      - *How will our constituencies be impacted by these discussions?*
      - *What can we do to make sure that our priorities influence these
      budget decisions?*

In the 2012 election, members of dozens of Massachusetts groups placed the
Budget for All public policy question on the ballot in state and senate
districts across the Commonwealth. Democrat, Republican and Independent
voters in all 90 cities and towns where it was on the ballot voted
overwhelming to send these budget priorities to Congress and the President:
a) Prevent cuts to Medicaid, Social Security, housing and other vital
programs; b) create and protect jobs by investing in renewable energy,
manufacturing, education and public services; c) Provide Revenues for these
purposes by ending tax breaks for large corporations and very high incomes
and by redirecting Pentagon spending and bringing all U.S. troops home from
Afghanistan now.

So now we have to figure out how to insist that new federal budgets reflect
these priorities. Now is the time for social justice, climate, labor and
peace folks come together, get up to speed on the developing budget debate
and its likely impacts, and work together for budget priorities that
reflect our values. See you on the 22nd!

--
Cole Harrison
Budget for All Massachusetts