[act-ma] Good news (bad news?) for GMO labeling in Massachusetts

Martin Dagoberto radoptimist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 08:28:05 PST 2015

First, the (very) good news: Out of the 200 legislative districts, the
Massachusetts GMO labeling bill (HD. 369) gained 154
cosponsors; undoubtedly making it one of the most popular bills at the
State House! Thank you to everyone who contacted your legislators!

*Now the potential bad news (but not if we have anything to say about it!):*

Monsanto and pals are trying to cut us off at the top! Any day now,
Koch-brothers' minion, Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-Kansas), is expected to
reintroduce federal legislation written by the Grocery Manufacturers
Association (GMA) and Big Food that would OUTLAW mandatory GMO labeling.

Fortunately, none of our congresspeople from Massachusetts have expressed
support for the DARK (Denying Americans Right to Know) Act. We need them to
help us pressure their peers in the House and Senate to support MANDATORY
GMO labeling and not to allow this travesty to occur.

*Please take action now to protect the Mass. GMO labeling bill and stop
federal preemption. *Click here to send a quick message to your
congresspeople: marighttoknow.org/StopDARK

<http://marighttoknow.org/StopDARK>

Thank you for taking action,

Martin Dagoberto

Campaign Coordinator

MA Right to Know GMOs

*More about the DARK Act:*

Last year, Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-KS) introduced a deceptively titled
bill,“The Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act.” This bill, dubbed the
“Denying Americans the Right-to-Know” (DARK) Act, would simultaneously
prevent mandatory federal labeling and deny states the right to enact their
own labeling legislation. Additionally it would create a pathway to allow
for the continued inclusion of GMOs in products labeled as “natural.”
Here's a recent article from our allies at UNFI all about it:
http://bit.ly/1EaVuRz