[act-ma] Wed Apr 15 e5 7pm | Another Politics with Chris Dixon

Umang Kumar umkumar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 07:35:25 PDT 2015

encuentro5 (e5) invites you to a talk by activist and writer Chris
Dixon on his book Another Politics

When - 7 PM Wednesday April 15 2015
Where - encuentro5 (e5)
9A Hamilton Pl, Boston, Massachusetts 02108
[Near Park St T stop and Suffolk Law School]

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/402635333252314/

---------------------------------

When I read Chris Dixon’s Another Politics, I realized that he had
staged, recorded, and analyzed many more insightful conversations with
contemporary radical activists than I could have imagined. This book
not only allows the reader to feel a part of these conversations about
radical movements of today, it also helps us to identify key points of
convergence and possible future directions for social justice
movements in our part of the world.
—Angela Y. Davis, from the foreword

Amidst war, economic meltdown, and ecological crisis, a “new spirit of
radicalism is blooming” from New York to Cairo, according to Chris
Dixon. In Another Politics, he examines the trajectory of efforts that
contributed to the radicalism of Occupy Wall Street and other recent
movement upsurges. Drawing on voices of leading organizers across the
United States and Canada, he delivers an engaging presentation of the
histories and principles that shape many contemporary struggles.

Dixon outlines the work of activists aligned with anti-authoritarian,
anti-capitalist, and anti-oppression politics and discusses the
lessons they are learning in their efforts to create social
transformation. The book explores solutions to the key challenge for
today’s activists, organizers, fighters, and dreamers: building a
substantive link between the work of “against,” which fights ruling
institutions, and the work of “beyond,” which develops liberatory
alternatives.

Chris Dixon is an activist, writer, and educator who received a PhD
from the History of Consciousness program at the University of
California, Santa Cruz. His writing has appeared in We Are Many:
Reflections on Movement Strategy from Occupation to Liberation,
Anarchist Studies, Clamor, the Earth First! Journal, Left Turn, Social
Movement Studies, and Upping the Anti. He has been involved in
transformative social movements for more than two decades.

Free and Open to all

--
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep"