[act-ma] December 3rd - First Thursday Film Series: "Hibakusha" and "Article 9 Comes to America"

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Thu Dec 3 06:41:24 PST 2015

Our First Thursday Film Series continues on

December 3rd at 6:30pm at the

Central Square Branch Library in Cambridge,

45 Pearl Street, 2nd floor.

We will be viewing 2 movies from Memory Productions:

"Hibakusha Our Life to Live"
The Lives of Hiroshima-Nagasaki Survivors

Narrated by Phil Donahue

and

"Article 9 Comes to America" - A Gift of Peace

Both are documentary films by David Rothauser, Brookline resident

Here is a brief summary of the first film:

'Director/Producer David Rothauser brings the stories of Japanese, Korean and American atomic bomb survivors into the 21st Century.  The 1945 atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki become our stories as the film traces the scientific, military and political subterfuge that made the development of the atomic bomb and its use possible.  Through the eyes of two children, one Japanese and one American, we follow their separate paths from the propaganda and war games of World War Two into the futuristic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  It is here that the viewer will experience the penetrating effects of an atomic attack at ground level.  These events are linked by the survivor's stories, describing in graphic detail their loss of beauty and loved ones.  "We tell our A-bomb experiences so our children and your children of generations to come will never have to know such terror."'

Here is a brief review of the first film:

"Hibakusha gives us a fresh and vivid view of an old theme, whose importance does not diminish with the passage of time.  Everyone, especially people in positions of power and influence, should see this film."

- Freeman Dyson, Institute for Advanced Study

This first film world premiered at the United Nations NPT conference in May 2010.  UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon requested copies for the United Nations.

We will have light refreshments. The first movie will begin promptly at 6:30pm.  Hope to see you there!

Warmly,

Marie-Louise

marieljm1961 at gmail.com <mailto:marieljm1961 at gmail.com>

857-526-2579 <tel:857-526-2579>