[act-ma] Thursday 4/21: "1971" - Free UPandOUT film screening

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Tue Apr 12 10:56:51 PDT 2016

*
*/"/You poor innocent thing. You have no idea what you've gotten into.
... It's time you learned more. The guys who run things - I mean the
guys who really run things in Washington - are very interested in
psychology... Until very recently control of American consciousness was
a simple matter for the guys in charge. The schools instilled docility.
The radio and TV networks poured out conformity. ... You may not know
that dissident organizations in academia are also controlled. The CIA
creates the radical journals and student organizations and runs them
with deep-cover agents./"
~ Mary Pinchot Meyer, President Kennedy's lover/

  *<http://rule19.org/films-2016/160421-1971.pdf>*

  *1971*

[see trailer <https://youtube.com/watch?v=W2Kgo7NNXWs>]

Showing Thursday, April 21, in Cambridge
[please download & distribute flyer
<http://rule19.org/films-2016/160421-1971.pdf>]

On March 8, 1971 eight ordinary citizens broke into an FBI office in
Media, PA, took hundreds of secret files, and shared them with the
public. Thus uncovering the FBI€™'s vast and illegal regime of spying
and intimidation of Americans exercising their First Amendment rights.

Despite searching for the people behind the heist in one of the largest
investigations ever conducted, the FBI never solved the mystery of the
break-in, and the identities of the members of the *Citizens'€™
Commission to Investigate the FBI* remained a secret.

Until now.

For the first time, the members of the Citizens'€™ Commission have
decided to come forward and speak out about their actions. /*1971*/ is
their story.  Told through a combination of exclusive interviews, rare
primary documents from the break-in and investigation, national news
coverage of the burglary and dramatic re-creations, the story of the
Citizens'€™ Commission unfolds with haunting echoes to today€™s
questions of privacy in the era of government surveillance.

The film ends with our characters and their families explaining why,
after 40 years, they have decided to break their silence.

/"History isn't dead, it isn't even ove/r." ~*William* *Faulkner*

"/We didn't know anything about the people who had done it. We had these
Americans who in secret we owe a debt to that we will never be able to
repay./" ~*Edward Snowden*/
/
"/The question we try to put before you is simply this: Who went too
far, and what does 'too far' mean...when the killing has started, when
you want to stop it?/ ...
/"What do you do when a child€™'s on fire? We saw children on fire.//
//What, what do you do when a child's on fire in a war that was a mistake?//
//What do you do? Like, write a letter?"/ ~ *Father Michael Doyle, of
the Camden 28*

/"Civil disobedience is, in fact, at the center of American democratic
philosophy/. ...
"/Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience.
Our problem is that people all over the world have obeyed the dictates
of leaders€, and millions have been killed because of this obedience€.
Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world in the face
of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty. Our
problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of petty
thieves€ (and) the grand thieves are running the country. That€™s our
problem./ ...   €œ/I'm worried that students will take their obedient
place in society and look to become successful cogs in the wheel - let
the wheel spin them around as it wants -  without taking a look at what
they're doing. I'm concerned that students not become passive acceptors
of the official doctrine that's handed down to them from the White
House, the media, textbooks, teachers and preachers./€" ~*Howard Zinn*

------------------

*When/where*
doors open 6:40; film starts promptly 7pm
243 Broadway, Cambridge - corner of Broadway and Windsor,
entrance on Windsor
rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos>

Please join us for a stimulating night out; bring your friends!
*free film & free door prizes
****[donations are encouraged]
*feel free to bring your own snacks and soft drinks - no alcohol allowed

"/You can't legislate good will - that comes through education/." ~
Malcolm X

*UPandOUT film series* - see rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos>

Why should YOU care? It's YOUR money that pays for US/Israeli wars - on
Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Palestine, Libya. Syria, Iran, So America, etc
etc - for billionaire bailouts, for ever more ubiquitous US prisons, for
the loss of liberty and civil rights...

*
*