[act-ma] FW: Friday, June 3, 5:45 PM, protest "Me before You" Regal Fenway Stadium 13 in Boston

Kevin Heaton kevwsc at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 1 19:45:12 PDT 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: "John Kelly" <JKelly at NotDeadYet.org>
Cc: "'John B. Kelly'" <John.B.Kelly at Verizon.Net>
Cc: "'Diane Coleman'" <dcoleman at notdeadyet.org>,  "'John Kelly'" <JKelly at NotDeadYet.org">JKelly at NotDeadYet.org>,  "'John Kelly'" <JKelly at NotDeadYet.org">JKelly at NotDeadYet.org>
Date: Sunday, 29 May 2016, 06:51PM -04:00
Subject: Friday, June 3, 5:45 PM, protest "Me before You" Regal Fenway Stadium 13 in Boston

			Hi advocates!

Please join a protest on Friday evening against the disability snuff film, “Me before You”

WHEN: Gather between 5:30 PM and 5:45 PM. Movie starts at 6:25 PM. We will wind up about 6:45 PM.
If enough people are interested in the later showing of 9:35 PM, people could gather at 9 PM – let me know if you are interested!
WHERE: The Regal Fenway Stadium 13 in Boston, 201 Brookline Ave. 02215.

WHAT: We will peacefully hand out leaflets, hold a banner, and do some fun chanting. No need to be active, just come and show your solidarity!

“Me Before You” has a soft opening on Thursday June 2, at 7 PM at the Regl Fenway and at the AMC Assembly Row 12 in Somerville. 395 Artisan Way, Somerville, MA 02145.
If people would like to protest on Thursday also, please let me know. But the most important date is June 3!
FILM SUMMARY: “Me Before You” is the latest Hollywood blockbuster to grossly misrepresent the lived experience of the majority of disabled people. In the film, a young man gets a spinal cord injury – at the same level as I have, and after a mere two years post injury plans to kill himself, then  falls in love with his ‘carer’ and they have an incredible 6 months together. Despite her opposition, however, the suicidal hero does the “honorable” thing by killing himself at the Swiss euthanasia clinic Dignitas – leaving his money to her so she can "live boldly" after he is no longer a “burden” to her. Based on the best-selling novel of the same name, “Me Before You” is little more than a disability snuff film, giving audiences the message that if you’re a disabled person, you’re better off dead.For more information, see the following articles:Spare me, “Me Before You”: Hollywood’s new tearjerker is built on tired and damaging disability stereotypes – Disability Rights Activist Emily LadauWhy Some Disability Rights Activists Are Protesting ‘Me Before You” – SELF.com author Haley Goldberg gives a lesson in how to write about disability People Are Annoyed About How “Me Before You” Represents Disability – Buzz Feed Hollywood Promotes the Idea It Is Better To Be Dead Than Disabled – Storify piece by Filmmaker and Disability Rights Activist Dominick EvansA Second Class Existence: Me Before You Gets It All Wrong – Scholar and disability rights activist Bill Peace, a.k.a. Bad CrippleWhy Are You Complaining? Some People Actually Feel That Way: A Critique of Me Before You – “Crippled Scholar”Die, ableist tropes, die! #MeBeforeAbleism #MeBeforeFuckYou  Storify piece by Disability Visibility creator and disability rights activist Alice Wong