[act-ma] Center for Marxist Education - June Events

Casey Doyle cdoyle1477 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 05:09:44 PDT 2016

*June Events*
Center for Marxist Education | 550 Mass Ave, Cambridge | 2nd Floor

*Help Us Reach Our Goal!*
The Center needs you! We are facing a rent hike and are asking our comrades
and friends to help keep our space open and growing. We hope you will
considering contributing what you can to our campaign here: Help The Center
For Marxist Education
<http://www.generosity.com/fundraisers/help-the-center-for-marxist-education>

*Event Schedule:*

*Red History Lecture Series*
*Machiavelli and the Primacy of Politics*
Saturday, June 4th 3-5pm
Communist historian Doug Enaa Greene will lecture on Machiavelli and the
primacy of politics. Machiavelli pioneered modern political science and
political strategy in understanding our moment with its relation of forces,
how to apply our strengths and act to create a new order that endures.
www.facebook.com/events/1743300025886396

*Committee for International Labor Defense**Colombia - US Imperialism and
Political Repression*
*Wednesday, June 8th*
Business meeting (all are invited) 6:30-7:00
Educational discussion 7:00-8:00
Presentation and discussion on the role of U.S. Imperialism in Colombia and
the repression against Colombian labor organizers.
www.facebook.com/events/144585465947245

*Sunday Film Night*
*Welcome to Leith*
Sunday, June 12th 6:00pm
Welcome to Leith chronicles the attempted takeover of a small town in North
Dakota by notorious white supremacist Craig Cobb. As his behavior becomes
more threatening, tensions soar, and the residents desperately look for
ways to expel their unwanted neighbor. With incredible access to both
longtime residents of Leith and white supremacists, the film examines a
small community in the plains struggling for sovereignty against an
extremist vision. It can’t happen here, some might say, but it did and
Americans should indeed be cautious. In English, 86 minutes.
www.facebook.com/events/1709233512658453

*Advancing Agroecology and Richard Levins's Legacy in China*
*A Report on Meetings in Beijing in May*
Saturday, June 18th 3-5pm
Exploitation, and a 'culture of exploitation' arose with human adoption of
agriculture less than 10,000 years ago. That culture of exploitation has
ranged from idealist philosophies to the opposition between city and
countryside, to the systemic inequality between men and women -- and
treatment of the environment as the property (and garbage dump) of the
ruling class.
Prevailing agricultural methods currently account for over 40% of all
poisoning of the environment -- rivers, soil, the air and the oceans.
Agroecology as developed in Cuba in the 1990s can help end the 'culture of
exploitation' -- and the environmental damage that has accompanied it.
Wadi'h Halabi reports on meetings on agroecology in Beijing in May, to
advance agroecology, and the remarkable legacy of Richard Levins, a
long-time friend of the CME.
www.facebook.com/events/932515173527775

*Big Farms Make Big Flu:**An Event at Encuentro5 with Evolutionary
Biologist Rob Wallace*
Co-sponsored by the CME
Monday, June 20 - 6:30pm
Drawing from his new book, Big Farms Make Big Flu, evolutionary biologist
Rob Wallace will explore the ways deadly avian and swine influenzas evolved
out of an agriculture controlled by multinational corporations. Wallace
will also touch on recent outbreaks of Ebola and Zika, two other pathogens
that have emerged out of neoliberal agroeconomics.
*This event will be held at Encuentro5, 9A Hamilton Place, Boston*

*Venezuela - The Bolivarian Revolution Today*
Tuesday, June 21st - 7:00pm
The struggles for social change in Venezuela found an unlikely outlet when
a nationalist and Bolivarian soldier, Hugo Chavez Frias was elected
president of Venezuela in 1999, several years after an attempt at a
progressive military coup de'etat had landed him in prison. His election
posed a class alternative to the political blocks that ruled Venezuela and
a series of popular reforms took place with the support of the majority of
the poor and working class. As well, the Bolivarian Revolution in Venezuela
extended solidarity with other peoples struggles in LatinAmerica and the
world.
Venezuela is currently experiencing a deep economic and social crisis that
threatens to reverse the social and economic gains of the workers, farmers,
and historically oppressed peoples. Jorge Marin of the Venezuela Solidarity
Committee has recently returned from Venezuela and will be speaking on the
gains of the Bolivarian revolution and current situation in Venezuela today.
www.facebook.com/events/1746412655601555

*Center for Marxist Education Hours*
In addition to our event times we are open the following evenings:
Monday – 4-8
Tuesday – 4-8
Wednesday – 4-8
Check our Facebook page <http://facebook.com/CenterForMarxistEducation> to
see which other days we will be open
The Center has been made possible for over 4 decades by volunteer time and
contributions from you. If you wish to help us keep the Center going and
new books coming in, donations can be made by sending a check made out to:
*BOOKMARX*
Center for Marxist Education
PO Box 390459
Cambridge, MA 02139