[act-ma] 8/23 - 7PM We Remember Sacco and Vanzetti (tonight)

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Tue Aug 23 06:22:01 PDT 2016

  2016 - WE REMEMBER SACCO AND VANZETTI!

*Tuesday, August 23, 2016 – 7PM*
Encuentro5 – 9A Hamilton Pl., Boston, MA (Near Park St. T)

Featured Speaker: *Robert Knox*, author of “Suosso’s Lane” (2015)
Music by *Jeffrey Panettieri* and *Jake and the Infernal Machine*

A free event sponsored by the Sacco and Vanzetti Commemoration Society

To download the flyer in pdf click here.
<http://saccoandvanzetti.org/sacco_vanzetti_2016.pdf>
To download the flyer in jpeg click here.
<http://saccoandvanzetti.org/sacco_vanzetti_2016.JPG>

-------------------------

*
The featured speaker:*

*Robert Knox*, "In a time of troubles when ordinary citizens worry about
their safety, societies have a tendency to turn on members of "outsider"
groups and suspect they're the cause of criminal acts. In the 2016
presidential election campaign, we've already seen a leading candidate
make sweeping attacks on national and religious minorities. Should all
Mexicans or Muslims be presumed to be the enemies of America's public
safety? Can you imagine a time when people of Italian descent were
looked at that way?

The events recounted in "Suosso's Lane," while they took place a long
time ago, raise questions that are still with us. Do we learn from the
past? Can we? Just maybe it helps to remember what happened long ago in
1920's America." (https://plus.google.com/113240472297765845478)

*

The performers:*

*Jeffrey Panettieri*, is a musician and activist from New Haven, CT
where he has organized around issues of labor, immigration and police
brutality with groups like Unidad Latina en Acción and People Against
Police Brutality.

As a musician, he plays musica popolare- folk from Sicily and Southern
Italy on instruments like the Neapolitan Mandolin, Lira Calabrese,
Tamburello, Colascione and Marranzano. The songs, in dialect, tell the
stories of workers, peasants, migrants and those struggling for a better
world-- with some tarantelle (folk dance) thrown in as well.

*
*
*Jake and the Infernal Machine* Boston-based punk and folk band
performing since the Summer of 2005.

Lineup Currently: Jake Carman – vox, guitar, Clara Hendricks – vox,
guitar, John Cleary – Mandolin, violin, vox, James Lee – vox, bass, Max
Kennedy- balalaika, trumpet, vox, Tim Carman – Drums, Jeff – Sax,
clarinet, harmonica, keyboard, vox.

More info: https://jakeandtheinfernalmachine.wordpress.com/