[act-ma] 9/01 Family Detention Protest at ICE in Burlington, MA Thursday

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Thu Sep 1 08:48:17 PDT 2016

For some reason this posting did not go through.   I am re-sending it.

Charlie Welch for act-ma

Family Detention Protest at ICE in Burlington, MA Thursday September 1

William Houghton <guatcomboston at earthlink.net>

  Family Detention Protest at ICE in Burlington, MA Thursday September 1
(next to Burlington Mall)

         https://www.facebook.com/events/103732756746125/
         Diapers in Detention | CLINIC

         https://cliniclegal.org/diapersindetention

         Family detention is the incarceration of asylum-seeking mothers
and children, mostly from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. There are
three such facilities in the United States, in Berks County,
Pennsylvania; Karnes City and Dilley, Texas. These “baby jails” feature
prison-like portable units equipped with multiple bunk beds, heavy iron
doors, and are surrounded by fencing.
         Imagine being an infant or small child who spends a month being
toted by your frightened mother across several countries in an arduous
search for safety in a new land, only to spend part of their childhood
in jail; stripped of possessions like baby blankets and binkies, cut off
from all relatives but their mother and young siblings.
         We want to end family detention to ensure that families are
still kept together. To let ICE know what people think about family
detention , CLINIC has called for a national week of action to call an
end to family detention. UU Mass Action is leading the Boston area
action. We will host a “baby shower” at the Burlington ICE field office
and detention center.

         Please join us in delivering the message to ICE officials that
this abusive practice must stop!