[act-ma] Friday, Cybersecurity Workshop: Digital Privacy In The US And At The Border

James O'Keefe jokeefe at jamesokeefe.org
Thu Mar 30 06:42:40 PDT 2017

*CYBERSECURITY WORKSHOP:*

*DIGITAL PRIVACY IN THE US AND AT THE BORDER*

*Harvard University*
*Lamont Library*
*Lamont Forum Room*
*March 31st, 6 pm to 8 pm*

*RSVP HERE! <https://www.facebook.com/events/745894072253351/>*

Trump's announcement
<https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/06/should-border-agents-scroll-through-foreigners-facebook-profiles/489353/>
that
border officers will be given the power to vet foreigners' social media
profiles doesn't just affect travelers who are either from or were born
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-muslim-ban-bbc-journalist-iran-born-ali-hamedani-chicago-airport-immigration-travel-a7552866.html>
in
the Muslim majority countries affected by the ban, but also other foreign
nationals
<http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.3972400/canadian-woman-denied-entry-to-u-s-after-muslim-prayers-found-on-her-phone-1.3972404>
 and US citizens
<https://www.wired.com/2017/02/guide-getting-past-customs-digital-privacy-intact/>,
particularly those who work or have family in at-risk countries.

Travelers have been asked to surrender their phones, their passwords, and
even what they thought of the Trump administration, before being denied or
allowed entry into the US, in clear violation of their Fourth Amendment
rights. As of tonight <http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39333424>,
we have learned that the US will also be banning laptops and tablets on
flights coming from eight Middle Eastern and North African countries.

*To respond to this, the International Scholars Working Group
<http://harvardgradunion.org/iswg/> (part of Harvard Graduate Union) has
organised a bring-your-own-laptop, hands-on cybersecurity workshop, held by
the he Massachusetts Pirate Party <https://masspirates.org/blog/>. We'll
learn how to prepare for the eventuality of being asked to surrender your
laptop/smartphone/passwords at the border and how to express political
opinions freely and use the internet for activism without compromising your
security at the border.*

If you have any specific questions for the Pirate Party workshop leaders
regarding your digital privacy in the US or at the border, *we warmly
encourage you to fill in this form
<https://docs.google.com/a/g.harvard.edu/forms/d/18LKeM_10SzaaeIABrxzaZSGROvcFN23MNXK3y7EFHRE/edit?ts=58d066a4>,
*and
they will do their best to answer them!

*FACEBOOK EVENT HERE <https://www.facebook.com/events/745894072253351/>*

--
peace,

James
--
James O'Keefe
Captain, Massachusetts Pirate Party / masspirates.org

Warning: This communication may be monitored and collected without consent,
in secret, by the NSA, other intelligence agencies and corporations.
Additionally, anything that you send me is likely to receive the same
treatment.  Please encrypt your communications well.  They hate that.  See
https://prism-break.org/ for a list of tools you can use.