[act-ma] Go Local! Municipal Sustainability Night w/350MA MetroWest Node

Terra terraf at compuserve.com
Thu Mar 30 19:30:11 PDT 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Leslie Lowe
thy42 at comcast.net
978-443-5138
Sudbury, MA
March 16, 2017

Local Greening: Use Your Municipal Rights

Residents of every town have well established rights to create local
climate justice
 How much power do we have in our town halls to make change?
 How "green" is our town?
 What steps can we take to make it greener?
 How do we prioritize those steps?
The answers to these questions and more at 350 MA MetroWest Node's "Go
Local Greening Night", April 6th, 7 to 9 pm, Peace Lutheran Church, 107
Concord Road (route 126), Wayland.  Light refreshments available.

Terra Friedrichs, former Selectman from Acton, will present what she's
learned about "home rule state"municipal rights and how townspeople use
them to stop new pipelines, control unnecessary/destructive
construction, limiting/banning the use of plastics, herbicides and even
pesticides.

David Ward, a sustainability engineer will discuss how towns can become
greener. He'll present the 350MA-MetroWest Node's Handy Municipal
Assessment Tool that you can use as a survey to see if your town is
meeting appropriate green metrics toward a greener and socially just
future.

Help each other assess all towns in our region.  We'll break up into
groups of people in nearby towns and do a preliminary assessment of our
towns, make plans to work with town officials to complete the survey,
and urge them to go further.Over time, you can track your town then see
how it compares to other towns.
Our Metrowest node public meetings usually happen the first Thursday of
the month with locations changing to accommodate learners, supporters,
and activists around the region.  All are encouraged to sit in on the
subgroup meetings for the local initiatives as well as the informal
planning group that meets at different times.

For more information about climate change and the metrowest node:
metrowest at 350MA.org
https://www.facebook.com/350MAMetrowestNode

Also, if you want the checklist via email, pls let us know!

--
Terra

~*~*~*~
Terra Friedrichs