[act-ma] Fwd: [BCN] Co-op hearing at the Statehouse

Terra terraf at compuserve.com
Fri May 19 08:57:17 PDT 2017

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[BCN] Co-op hearing at the Statehouse
Date: 	Fri, 19 May 2017 11:52:49 -0400
From: 	Matt Meyer via BCN <bcn at lists.bostoncoop.net>
To: 	bcn at lists.bostoncoop.net

Hey Folks,

The Greater Boston Chamber of Co-ops is supporting the Mass Assc of Housing
Co-operatives to pass this bill in the statehouse. It would give folks in
limited equity co-ops the ability to take advantage of the state rent
deduction. There's a hearing about it coming up on June 13th.

Let's show up and show the legislature that people care about co-ops!

-Matt

More Info on the Bill from Mass Assc of Housing Co-ops:
Our Renters Tax Deduction Bill (H.3334/S.1520) will be heard before the
Joint Committee on Revenue on June 13, at 10 am in State House Hearing Room
B-2, in the Annex.

This Bill would permit resident owners of housing cooperatives to take
advantage of the MA Renters Tax Deduction, if they do not also take the
Federal Homeowners Deduction.  This will be beneficial to those who do not
itemize their federal taxes, and particularly those of low and moderate
incomes.

The maximum deduction will be $250/year.  We expect that approximately
1,000 people may take this deduction, statewide, resulting in a loss of
revenue to the state of  about $250,000, and relatively small amount which
may be very important to those taking the deduction.

We are prioritizing outreach the members of the Revenue Committee,
particularly the Chairs and those who have coops in their districts.
Secondarily, we are prioritizing Legislator who have co-sponsored either of
our Bills (incl. H.3017 on the Right To Purchase).  And thirdly,
legislators from Boston and Cambridge, as there are so many coops here.  We
are trying to mobilize coop members and Boards in those districts to
contact their legislators directly, and to copy us on letters and
communications.