[act-ma] CCB Newsletter May-June- featuring Michael Dukakis

Community Church of Boston info at communitychurchofboston.org
Fri May 19 16:29:42 PDT 2017

Here is What's Happening at Community Church of Boston,
May 21st thru June 18th, 2017

CCB May-June Upcoming Programs:

Dear Friends, We are very excited about our season’s final Sunday events. We hope you can join us, and tell your friends as well about this marvelous jewel of a thing we have called Community Church of Boston! Also check out our exceptional upcoming musical offerings.

SUNDAY, May 21: So What Do Progressives Do in the Era of Trump? with Michael Dukakis
Michael Dukakis Governor of Massachusetts: (’75-’79, ’83-’91, US Presidential Candidate 1988); Political Science professor; former board member of Amtrak; and founding member Boston Global Forum, a sponsor of the The Michael Dukakis Leadership Fellow Program.
Music by Dana Lyons

SUNDAY, May 28: “Student Activism:
Who, What, Why And What Now?”
with Dr. Edward Bertschinger
During the past 50 years there have been three periods of major student protest on college campuses: the Vietnam War (1969-70), anti-apartheid protests in the mid 80s, and the present era of #BlackLivesMatter. At MIT, physics students have played a leading role as organizers in all three movements. As an MIT physics professor and Diversity Program Director, I will share thoughts on what works and how organizations can navigate social and societal challenges..
Music by CommUnity Voices

SUNDAY, June 4: “Water: The Invisible Crisis” with Dr. Shakir Abdullah
Dr. Shakir Abdullah  is a former Iraqi official. He is a PhD holder in atmospheric physics from Reading University / England ( 1978 ). His last job in the public service in Iraq was the CEO of the ministry of Transportation and Communication under the CPA headed by ambassador Paul Bremer.
Music by CommUnity Voices

SUNDAY, June 11:
“Brunch and Annual Meeting”
A call to CCB members: Please join us at 11am for brunch, followed by our Annual Meeting, election of new board of directors, and consideration of urgent church business matters.
Music by CommUnity Voices

SUNDAY, June 11, 7pm-10pm: Playing For The Planet
On Saturday, June 10, the fifteenth “Playing For The Planet” benefit concert will showcase master musicians from three different musical traditions in a rare and joyful pan-cultural evening, with all proceeds going to benefit the environmental advocacy group 350MA.org. The performers include the joyful Latin American perspectives of Sol y Canto, the enthralling North Indian vocal music of Aditya Rohit Shah, and the Rev. Fred Small’s compelling songs of struggle and justice. The music begins at 7:00 pm, at The Community Church Of Boston, 565 Boylston Street (Copley Square), Boston. Admission is $20; $15 students & seniors. Tickets available at the door or buy tickets online here. (http://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=ba13ac7caf&e=4a06b6aa8c)   Download the flyer (http://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=3d69dc23bf&e=4a06b6aa8c) .

SUNDAY, June 18:
“Brunch and Program Evaluation”
Are you interested and passionate about our Sunday Programs? We will look back on the past year, and plan for our next season of speakers, musicians, poets, storytellers, seers and visionaries. The Program Committee wants to hear from you. Join us!
Music by Roy Zimmerman

The CCB Board of Officers and Directors Meetings February, March, and April 2017
The Church will host an American Civil Liberties Union training session to defend sanctuary on March 11.

The Venezuela Solidarity Committee is asking for partial fee for an April 1 event at which CCB is co-sponsor. The proposal was approved by the board.
****
Discussion took place concerning minor repairs related to the Church building.

On March 11, the American Civil Liberties Union, and CCB co-sponsored a very successful organizing event (68 participants) called “Training Ideas To Defend Sanctuary And To Resist Deportation.”
****
A decision was made to hold an open Sunday meeting to plan for the next church year and evaluate the passed season’s programs. The idea of a suggestion box was proposed where people could state their preference for a certain speaker.

There was a discussion on how to handle disruptive behavior during the Sunday program.

Respectfully Submitted,
Dick Keshishian, Clerk

Our Purpose
Community Church of Boston is a free community united for the study and practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical ideals to individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to all forms of social and economic life.

Staff
Christle Rawlins-Jackson, Office and Publications Manager
Luis Alonzo Guzman, Custodian and Cook
Xinli Xu, Bookkeeper

Board of Directors
Dick Crowley, President
Tillyruth Teixeira, Vice President
Betsy Gynn, Treasurer
Dick Keshishian, Clerk
Lee Fich, Virginia Pratt, Steve Kellerman, and
Tillyruth Teixeira, Ellen Mass, Jim Casteris

Thanks for Reading

The team at the Community Church of Boston wants to extend a hearty 'thank you' to all of our wonderful readers. You make our community shine, and we want to keep that going!
visit our web site (http://communitychurchofboston.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=97f7dfeb0bfd338d2250fe8e5&id=db3f948660&e=4a06b6aa8c)
to learn more about us.