[act-ma] 6/02 Salt of the Earth (tonight)

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Fri Jun 2 13:11:23 PDT 2017

This weekend we are lucky to host Joe Bernick, the director of the Salt
of the Earth Labor College in Tucson, not far from the current border
with Mexico.

Showing of Salt of the Earth with the director.

Fri. June 2nd 630
Encuentro 5
9A Hamilton Place. (near Park St.)

Joe worked many years with leaders of the great Salt of the Earth
strike. He has had time to mull over tasks of Chicano/Mexicano
liberation, one of the important questions the US working class faces.

At 6:30 this coming Saturday eve, we plan an informal discussion of the
Chicano/Mexicano question at the CME. The historian John Womack, author
of Zapata and the Mexican Revolution and an old friend of the CME, has
agreed to join in the discussion.

The drama film is one of the first pictures to advance the feminist
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminism> social and political point of
view. Its plot centers on a long and difficult strike
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_action>, based on the 1951 strike
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Zinc_Strike> against the Empire
Zinc Company <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Zinc_Company> in
Grant County, New Mexico
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_County,_New_Mexico>. In the film,
the company is identified as "Delaware Zinc," and the setting is
"Zinctown, New Mexico." The film shows how the miners, the company, and
the police react during the strike. In neorealist
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neorealism_%28art%29> style, the
producers and director used actual miners and their families as actors
in the film.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_of_the_Earth_(1954_film)

---